NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED FEDERAL LAWYERS
Last Updated on: 2nd October 2023, 06:52 pm
New York City Prenup Lawyers – Crafting Agreements to Protect Your Interests
Getting married in New York City is exciting, but protecting your assets is also crucial. Prenups allow couples to define financial terms instead of leaving it to state law. You want an agreement that’s fair and stands the test of time.
Our New York City prenup attorneys have the experience to make that happen. We help couples thoughtfully navigate this process. Here’s an overview of how prenups work in NYC and how we can help.
Who Needs a NYC Prenup?
Here are common reasons NYC couples get prenups:
- You own real estate, a business, or other major assets
- You expect to receive an inheritance
- You have kids from a previous relationship
- You’ll earn much more than your spouse
- You want to keep finances separate
- You have family money you want to protect
The goal is protecting assets you brought into the marriage while still providing for your partner. A prenup gives you control over division of property if you split up.
What Can a NYC Prenup Cover?
Prenups give you flexibility to define financial terms of your marriage. Common sections in a NYC prenup include:
- Asset division – How you’ll split property like real estate, businesses, cars, etc.
- Debts – Who pays debts incurred before and during marriage.
- Earnings – If you’ll share income and assets acquired during marriage.
- Inheritance – If you’ll share gifts/inheritances received during marriage.
- Alimony – Terms for spousal support if you divorce.
- Life insurance – To provide for spouse at death.
An attorney can help you address topics relevant to your unique situation.
Creating a Fair NYC Prenup
No one wants a one-sided agreement. Tips for a balanced prenup include:
- Full disclosure – Reveal all assets, debts, income sources, etc.
- Adequate time – Allow several weeks to review with separate lawyers.
- Consider future – Finances will likely change during marriage.
- Independent counsel – Each spouse should have their own lawyer.
- Room for negotiation – Rarely enforced exactly as written.
The right prenup provides protection while taking care of your partner. Our attorneys can help craft an agreement you both feel good about.
Enforcing NYC Prenups
Courts will generally uphold prenups that are:
- Voluntary – Entered into willingly without duress.
- Full disclosure – Assets were fully disclosed.
- With counsel – Both parties had their own lawyers.
- Reasonable – Terms are reasonable at the time signed.
If a prenup is extremely one-sided or signed under questionable circumstances, parts or all of it may be invalidated. We help create solid prenups that hold up in New York courts.
Changing Your NYC Prenup
Over time, you may want to revisit your prenup. Common reasons to modify include:
- Having children
- Receiving an inheritance or gift
- Change in income or assets
- Buying property together
- Moving to a new state
Modifications require the same formal process as creating the initial prenup. We can help update your agreement to reflect new developments.
Working with Experienced NYC Prenup Attorneys
Although prenups are common today, the laws can be nuanced. An attorney well-versed in New York family law can make the process smooth. Here’s how we help:
- Advise about prenup laws and court enforceability in New York
- Review financial disclosures
- Draft agreement terms tailored to your situation
- Negotiate a fair agreement with your partner’s lawyer
- Ensure proper legal formalities are met
- Modify your prenup as needed down the road
We know prenups can be an emotional topic. Our goal is protecting you through this important process. If you’re getting married in New York City, contact us to start planning your prenup today.