NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED FEDERAL LAWYERS
Last Updated on: 24th September 2023, 07:52 pm
Mesa Title IX Lawyers
Title IX is a federal law that prohibits discrimination based on sex in education programs and activities, including sexual harassment, sexual assault, and sexual violence. Having an experienced Title IX lawyer can make all the difference if you are facing allegations of violating Title IX policies at your school in Mesa.
Some key things to know about Title IX:
- Title IX applies to any educational institution, like colleges, universities, and K-12 schools, that receive federal funding
- It covers sexual harassment, sexual assault, rape, and other sexual misconduct by students, faculty, or staff
- Schools must have policies against sex discrimination and procedures for handling complaints
- Students can file a Title IX complaint with their school or a lawsuit in court
If you have been accused of violating Title IX, here are some ways a Mesa Title IX lawyer can help:
Investigate the Allegations
Your lawyer will thoroughly examine the allegations and evidence against you. This includes reviewing any written complaints, interviewing witnesses, looking at documentation like text messages and social media posts, and visiting the location of the alleged incident.
Advocate in the Campus Process
Your attorney can represent you in your school’s Title IX investigation and disciplinary process. They can interact with the Title IX coordinator, request evidence, cross-examine witnesses at a hearing, and make sure your rights are protected.
Negotiate an Alternate Resolution
Your lawyer may be able to negotiate a settlement with the school, like agreeing to counseling or a reflective writing assignment, that avoids a formal finding of responsibility.
File Appeals if Necessary
If you are found responsible and suspended or expelled, your attorney can appeal the decision and try to get it reversed based on errors or bias in the process.
Initiate a Lawsuit Against Your School
You may be able to sue your school in court for discrimination, breach of contract, due process violations, or other claims related to how they handled your case.
Defend Against Criminal Charges
If police file criminal charges like sexual assault, your lawyer can defend you in the criminal justice system and aim to get the charges reduced or dismissed.
When facing serious Title IX allegations, having an experienced lawyer makes all the difference. Here are some top Title IX defense attorneys and law firms in Mesa:
Grand Canyon Law
Grand Canyon Law has an entire team focused on Title IX cases. They can help with any Title IX issue involving sexual harassment, sexual assault, rape, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking. Their lawyers have extensive experience representing students and faculty in Title IX proceedings at schools and universities across Arizona.
Eisner Gorin LLP
With offices in Los Angeles, Eisner Gorin LLP represents students nationwide facing Title IX allegations. Their attorneys include state-certified criminal law specialists who aggressively defend clients in campus Title IX hearings and also against any criminal charges. They pursue all options for the best possible outcome.
The Embry Law Firm
Located in Mesa, The Embry Law Firm provides strong legal advocacy for clients facing Title IX investigations. Their experienced trial lawyers can help with your school’s administrative process and file a lawsuit on your behalf if necessary. They also defend against related criminal charges.
Key Title IX Legal Issues
Some key legal issues to understand in Title IX cases include:
- Burden of proof – Schools typically use the “preponderance of the evidence” standard in Title IX cases, meaning over 50% chance allegations are true. This is a lower burden than the “beyond a reasonable doubt” standard used in criminal cases.
- Due process – Accused students have argued schools violate due process by not allowing cross-examination, using biased decision-makers, or presuming guilt. Lawsuits have forced some schools to provide more protections.
- Retaliation – It’s illegal for a school to retaliate against someone for making a Title IX complaint. But complainants sometimes still face backlash from peers that schools could try to prevent.
- Deliberate indifference – If a school knows about but is indifferent to harassment or lacks proper procedures, it can be liable under Title IX.
- Off-campus conduct – Recent regulations limit schools’ ability to investigate sexual misconduct occurring off-campus. But some incidents still impact programs on campus.
Having an experienced lawyer helps ensure you understand these issues and your rights are protected. For more information or to discuss your case, contact a Mesa Title IX attorney today.