NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED FEDERAL LAWYERS
Last Updated on: 24th September 2023, 07:51 pm
Kansas City Title IX Lawyers
Title IX is an important civil rights law that prohibits discrimination based on sex in education programs and activities, including sexual harassment and sexual violence. Having an experienced Title IX lawyer can make all the difference if you are involved in a Title IX investigation or lawsuit in the Kansas City area.
This article provides an overview of Title IX issues and cases in Kansas City, and how an attorney can help protect your rights and interests. We’ll cover the basics of Title IX, typical cases, the investigation and hearing process, potential consequences, and defenses. We aim to explain things in simple terms anyone can understand!
What is Title IX?
Title IX is a federal law that was passed in 1972 as part of the Education Amendments of 1972. It states: “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”
This applies to all schools that receive federal funding, from K-12 schools to colleges and universities. The law prohibits sex discrimination in all programs and activities, including athletics, extracurricular activities, classes, admissions, and more.
Over the years, Title IX has been used to promote equality for women in sports and education. It also provides protections against sexual harassment and sexual violence, which are forms of sex discrimination.
Common Title IX Cases in Kansas City
Here are some of the most common types of Title IX cases that lawyers handle in the Kansas City area:
- Sexual harassment – unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that creates a hostile environment
- Sexual assault – rape, fondling, incest, statutory rape
- Dating/domestic violence
- Retaliation – punishing someone for making a complaint
- Failure to accommodate pregnant/parenting students
- Discrimination in athletics
- Discrimination in classes, programs, or activities
Cases can involve student-on-student harassment or violence, employee-on-student harassment, or even student-on-employee harassment. Anyone participating in an education program or activity who suffers sex discrimination can file a Title IX complaint.
The Investigation and Hearing Process
When a formal complaint is filed, the school must conduct a prompt, thorough, and impartial investigation. The complainant and respondent are entitled to equal treatment and rights during the process. Key steps include:
- The school appoints trained, unbiased officials to serve as the Title IX Coordinator, investigator, decision-maker, and appeals officer.
- The investigator interviews witnesses and gathers evidence from all parties.
- After the investigation, a live hearing is held where cross-examination is allowed through advisors.
- The decision-maker evaluates the evidence and makes a determination of responsibility.
- Either party can file an appeal based on procedural issues or new evidence.
Throughout the process, the complainant and respondent have equal rights to have an advisor of their choice, present witnesses and evidence, review evidence and reports, and appeal.
If a respondent is found responsible for a Title IX violation, potential consequences include:
- Verbal or written warning
- Counseling or training
- Removal from classes, dorms, or activities
- Transcript notation
- Withholding of degree
The school has flexibility to determine appropriate sanctions based on the nature and severity of the violation. They aim to end the discrimination, prevent recurrence, and remedy effects on the complainant and community.
There are several defenses that can potentially be raised in response to a Title IX allegation:
- Misidentification – Argue you are not the actual perpetrator
- False allegations – Challenge the credibility of the accuser and their motivations
- Mutual consent – Argue the conduct was consensual
- Unfair process – Identify procedural flaws or investigator bias
- Free speech – Argue your actions were protected free speech
- Retaliation – Claim the charges were brought as retaliation for a separate issue
An experienced lawyer can evaluate the available defenses and build the strongest case possible on your behalf. The specifics of each case dictate the best defense strategy.
Why Hire a Title IX Lawyer?
Navigating the Title IX process is complex, with high stakes for your future. Having qualified legal counsel levels the playing field and protects your rights. Reasons to hire a lawyer include:
- They understand Title IX procedures and legal standards inside and out.
- They can conduct their own thorough investigation and find favorable evidence.
- They can identify procedural missteps and appeal improperly reached decisions.
- They aggressively cross-examine witnesses and undermine credibility.
- They negotiate reduced charges/sanctions and favorable resolutions.
- They advise you on statements to investigators to avoid self-incrimination.
- They fight against discrimination and biased treatment.
- They stand up to institutional pressure and intimidation tactics.
With so much at stake – your education, career, reputation, and future opportunities – it’s wise to have a top Title IX attorney defending your interests.
Finding an Attorney in Kansas City
If you need representation for a Title IX matter in the Kansas City area, consider these top-rated local attorneys:
- Tilleke & Gibbins – Leading Title IX defense firm with lawyers rated Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- Humphrey, Farrington & McClain – Accomplished education and civil rights lawyers with deep Title IX experience.
- Krigel & Jones – Title IX and student conduct defense attorneys rated AV Preeminent.
Look for attorneys with proven experience handling Title IX cases for accused students and employees. Meet with a few lawyers before deciding who to hire.
Facing a Title IX investigation is stressful, but you don’t have to go through it alone. With an experienced Kansas City Title IX attorney on your side, you can rest assured your rights will be protected each step of the way. They will aggressively defend you while navigating the complex Title IX process.
Don’t leave your future to chance. Contact a dedicated Title IX lawyer today to discuss your case!
-  Title IX Lawyer in Kansas – KJK Student Defense
-  Title IX Resolution Process – KU Policy Library – The University of Kansas
-  Summary of Major Provisions of the Department of Education’s Title IX Final Rule (PDF)
-  KANSAS CITY KANSAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE INTERIM TITLE IX POLICY
-  How the Title IX process at University of Kansas is supposed to work
-  Title IX & Sexual Misconduct Policy – Kansas City University – Acalog ACMSTM