NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED FEDERAL LAWYERS
Last Updated on: 16th December 2023, 12:50 am
Dealing with addiction, whether it’s you or a loved one struggling, is scary. Like, really scary. I get it. You want to get better but have no clue where to start or who can actually help. New York City can be overwhelming when trying to find rehab options. There are so many programs and facilities that it gets confusing. I put together this guide to walk you through the different types of rehab available in NYC, things to think about when choosing a program, and additional resources if you need more support.
Types of Rehab Facilities in NYC
There are a few main types of rehab places in the city. Here‘s a quick breakdown:
Inpatient rehab requires you to stay at the facility 24/7 for a period of time, usually 30 days minimum. You live onsite and go through intensive programming like counseling, group meetings, etc. along with medical care. The intensive support can be really helpful, especially when first getting sober, but it can also feel rigid.Some examples of inpatient rehabs in NYC are Daytop Village, Samaritan Village, and Phoenix House.
Outpatient rehab means you stop by the facility for a set amount of hours each week for meetings and therapy sessions. The rest of the time you are living at home while working your normal routine. This offers more flexibility but less support than being inpatient.Outpatient programs like ICL allow you to balance treatment with work or family life.
Sober Living Facilities
Sober living homes, sometimes called halfway houses, provide a structured, substance-free living environment with peer support. They promote independence while surrounding you with others in recovery. Length of stay varies.Oxford Houses offer sober housing with communal living across NYC.
There are also rehab programs tailored to specific needs or conditions, like:
- Gender-specific rehab for women or men only
- LGBTQ+ affirmative treatment
- Programs for healthcare/emergency personnel
- Options for low-income individuals
- Faith-based Christian rehabs
- Treatment for dual diagnosis (mental health & addiction)
Center Light offers LGBTQ-focused addiction treatment in NYC for example.
Choosing the Right Rehab Facility
With so many options, how do you even start picking a rehab place? Here are key things to think about:
Types of Addiction Treated – Make sure the program specializes in your substance of use (alcohol, opioids, etc). Some treat all addictions while others focus specifically on one.
Treatment Approach – Is there a specific style of therapy or philosophy that appeals to you? Options include CBT, 12-step, faith-based, holistic, etc.
Amenities – Consider amenities like private rooms, fitness facilities, nutrition plans, tech accessibility, and recreation. These details impact overall comfort.
Staff Credentials – Look for licensed therapists, psychiatrists, and addiction counselors. You want qualified professionals overseeing treatment.
Cost of Treatment – Inpatient rehab can cost $6,000-20,000+ per month. Check if your insurance covers any treatment costs. Also ask about payment plans or sliding scale fees.
Location – Convenience is key. For outpatient, find a facility near your home or work. For inpatient, choose somewhere easily accessible for potential visitors.
Success Rates – Don’t hesitate to ask about past client successes. Good programs should share statistics.
Accessibility – See if the rehab offers multilingual services, wheelchair access, LGBTQ inclusivity, etc to meet your needs.
Making It Work Financially
Rehab ain’t cheap, unfortunately. Here are tips to lessen the money burden:
- Call around for quotes to compare costs between programs.
- Talk to your health insurance provider about coverage – most plans cover substance abuse treatment to some degree.
- Ask the facility about financial assistance or sliding scale fees based on income.
- See if the rehab helps file insurance claims or provides payment plans.
- Contact local nonprofits and recovery resources about possible scholarships, grants and funding support.
- Start a GoFundMe campaign or ask loved ones for help covering treatment costs.
Finding the Right NYC Rehab for You
Choosing a treatment program is super personal. There’s no “perfect” option – just the best one for YOU. Take into account your addiction severity, personal preferences, lifestyle factors, and budget.If you’re unsure where to go, use the NYC Well Helpline to speak to a trained counselor for guidance. Or call 1-888-NYC-WELL for free confidential assistance finding treatment.For extra support, join r/REDDITORSINRECOVERY to connect with others who get the struggle. Post questions, vent about shitty days, celebrate wins, or request rehab recommendations.Wishing you strength during this difficult time. With the right help and commitment, you absolutely can turn things around. Just know you’re not alone. 🧡
- Find Rehabs in New York – Search tool for NYC treatment centers
- Rehabs.com NYC – Addiction treatment finder in your area
- Loans & Funding Options – Grants, lenders and more ways to pay for rehab
- The Herren Project Aid – Grants for treatment offered by the Herren Project
- SMART Recovery NYC – Science-based addiction recovery meetings
- Refuge Recovery – Buddhist-inspired recovery groups
I hope this guide gave you a good starting point for finding rehab help in NYC. Wishing you the very best! You got this.