NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED FEDERAL LAWYERS
Last Updated on: 3rd November 2023, 07:11 pm
Florida Federal Criminal Defense Attorney Orlando | Money Laundering and Fraud
Being investigated or charged with money laundering, fraud, or other federal white collar crimes in Orlando can lead to devastating consequences. These complex financial crimes carry severe penalties in Florida, including years in prison, massive fines, asset forfeiture, and loss of professional licenses. Having an experienced Florida federal criminal defense attorney is critical to protect your rights and future.
Common Money Laundering and Fraud Charges in Orlando
Some examples of money laundering and fraud crimes that federal prosecutors in Orlando pursue include:
- Money laundering – Concealing illegal funds or making them appear legal
- Wire fraud – Using wire communications to execute a fraudulent scheme
- Mail fraud – Using the mail to further a fraud scheme
- Bank fraud – Deceiving a bank to obtain money or credit
- Tax fraud – Evading taxes by deceit, dishonesty, or corruption
- Healthcare fraud – Defrauding Medicare, Medicaid, or private insurers
Orlando is considered a hot spot for healthcare fraud, leading to increased scrutiny and prosecutions for related financial crimes in the area. The DOJ’s Medicare Fraud Strike Force has a team dedicated to pursuing major fraud cases in Orlando.
Penalties for Federal Financial Crimes in Orlando
A conviction on money laundering, fraud, or other federal financial crime charges can lead to:
- Up to 20 years in federal prison per charge
- Massive fines up to $250,000 per individual for each charge
- Asset forfeiture, including seizure of property
- Restitution to victims
- Loss of professional licenses
Proving Financial Crimes in Orlando Federal Cases
To convict on federal money laundering, fraud, or other financial charges, Orlando prosecutors must prove:
- There was a scheme devised to defraud or illegally obtain money
- The defendant knowingly participated in the scheme with intent to defraud
- The scheme involved material deception or misrepresentation
- Interstate wires, mail, or financial transactions were used to execute the scheme
Federal Criminal Defense Strategies in Orlando
An experienced federal criminal defense attorney can often get charges reduced or dismissed by challenging the prosecution’s ability to prove intent, material deception, use of federal jurisdiction, or other elements of these complex crimes.
Avoiding Charges – Red Flags to Avoid in Orlando
To reduce the risk of federal scrutiny for financial crimes, avoid:
- Using shell companies, fronts, or straw buyers
- Structuring transactions to evade reporting requirements
- Lying on any documents submitted to the government
- Engaging in self-dealing or kickback schemes
- Using nominees to hide ownership or assets
Retaining a Federal Criminal Defense Lawyer in Orlando
Facing federal money laundering, fraud, or other financial charges in Orlando requires experienced legal representation. A knowledgeable federal criminal defense attorney can often get charges reduced or dismissed pre-trial. Do not delay in contacting a qualified lawyer if you are being investigated for any federal financial crimes in Orlando.
I hope this overview provides helpful information on defending against federal money laundering, fraud, and other financial charges in Orlando. Please reach out for assistance finding an experienced Orlando federal criminal defense lawyer.