NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED FEDERAL LAWYERS
Last Updated on: 5th December 2023, 08:34 pm
Financial Crimes in Long Island: How a Criminal Defense Lawyer Can Help
Financial crimes such as embezzlement, money laundering, tax evasion, and fraud are on the rise in Long Island. While white collar crimes may seem harmless compared to violent crimes, they can carry severe penalties if convicted. That’s why it’s critical to have an experienced criminal defense lawyer on your side if you’ve been accused.
Common Financial Crimes in Long Island
Some of the most common financial crimes charged in Nassau and Suffolk Counties include:
- Embezzlement – When someone misappropriates funds entrusted to them by an employer or organization. This could involve stealing money, falsifying expense reports, or funneling funds into personal accounts.
- Money laundering – Disguising the source of illegally obtained money by filtering it through legitimate businesses and transactions. This “cleans” the money so it appears legal.
- Tax evasion – Illegally avoiding paying owed taxes by under-reporting income, overstating deductions, hiding assets and income sources.
- Bank fraud – Deceiving a bank or financial institution to obtain services or money through false statements, forged documents, or electronic transfers.
- Mortgage fraud – Providing false information on mortgage applications to obtain a loan, or using fraudulent appraisals to secure larger loans.
- Insurance fraud – Lying to insurance companies to obtain larger payouts through staged accidents, false claims, or exaggerated damages.
- Credit card fraud – Using stolen credit cards or card numbers to make purchases, or opening accounts with false information.
The penalties for financial crimes can include hefty fines, asset forfeiture, restitution payments, and years in prison depending on the amounts involved and number of counts. That’s why having an experienced white collar crime lawyer is so important.
Long Island White Collar Crime Defense Lawyers
There are many skilled criminal defense firms and lawyers throughout Nassau and Suffolk Counties ready to take on financial crime cases. When choosing legal representation, consider factors like:
- Specialization – Look for lawyers who focus specifically on white collar and financial crime defense, not general practitioners.
- Experience – The lawyer should have extensive experience defending financial charges in Long Island courts, not just generic criminal defense background.
- Resources – Well-resourced firms have teams of attorneys, investigators, forensic accountants and other professionals to build a strong defense.
- Reputation – Choose a lawyer with a proven track record of positive case results, such as dismissals, acquittals, and charge reductions.
- Communication – The lawyer should be responsive, accessible, and keep you informed throughout the process. An aloof lawyer can damage your case.
Don’t let the complexity of financial crime cases cause you to feel helpless. The legal system provides protections for the accused. An experienced lawyer intimately familiar with Long Island courts and prosecutors can guide you through the process and build the strongest defense for your specific situation. With skilled legal representation, positive outcomes are very achievable.