NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED FEDERAL LAWYERS
Last Updated on: 6th August 2023, 04:28 pm
Defending Against Controlled Substance Charges with the Help of an Experienced Attorney
Controlled substance charges are serious offenses that can lead to severe consequences such as imprisonment and hefty fines. The Federal Controlled Substances Act (CSA) prohibits the possession of controlled substances without authorization, especially with the intention of distribution. Possession is considered illegal, but possessing with intent to sell carries a heavier sentence.
If you have been charged under this act, it is crucial to seek legal representation from an experienced federal defense attorney who will defend your rights and interests. Haas David is a renowned attorney who has vast experience in defending clients against such charges by developing strong strategies tailored to each case’s unique circumstances.
Controlled Substances Categories
The CSA classifies various substances into five categories based on their medicinal values, potential for dependency or abuse, and public safety concerns. These categories include:
– Stimulants: Examples include methamphetamines, cocaine, and amphetamines.
– Narcotics: Examples include fentanyl, morphine, methadone, opium and heroin.
– Hallucinogens: Examples include ecstasy (MDMA), LSD (acid), peyote.
– Depressants: Examples include benzodiazepines like Xanax®, Rohypnol®(roofies), GHB
– Other products/drugs such as inhalants like nitrous oxide (“whippets”), steroids like testosterone or nandrolone decanoate (Deca-Durabolin®), marijuana/cannabis products including edibles/THC-infused foods & drinks.
While some drugs require prescriptions when used by someone without a practitioner’s prescription for possession purposes only; both state and federal laws prohibit possessing controlled substances without valid prescriptions. Additionally, even if you have a prescription permitted by the state for medical marijuana possession purposes only; federal law still criminalizes its possession.
Federal vs State Controlled Substance Charges
Typically states prosecute cases of drug possession, manufacturing, and intrastate trafficking. However, the federal government is mandated to prosecute any crimes related to drugs under the CSA. In some instances, the federal government prosecutes drug-related cases when there are allegations of drug conspiracy or trafficking during arrests.
Special circumstances that may lead to federal prosecution include:
– Arrests for being part of a drug-trafficking ring.
– DEA arrests as part of a large-scale bust.
– International or interstate trafficking charges.
– Arrests by TSA agents, United States Parks Police officers or Customs and Border Protection officials.
Federal prosecutors can also handle cases where state and local law enforcement agencies work together with them on investigations.
Consequences of Controlled Substance Convictions
Convictions for controlled substance offenses have severe consequences such as ruined reputations, asset forfeiture, and imprisonment. Therefore it’s crucial to hire an attorney who has vast experience in all aspects of the federal court system and cannot be intimidated by its protocols.
Defending Against Controlled Substance Charges
At Haas David Law PLLC we take a rigorous approach when developing defenses against controlled substance charges. We investigate thoroughly all circumstances surrounding your case while ensuring that law enforcement officials had probable cause for your arrest without violating your rights. We study all evidence presented by prosecutors while scrutinizing actions taken by law enforcement officials in your case.
Based on our findings from investigating; we develop robust defense strategies tailored specifically to each client’s unique situation using one or several tactics including:
– Proving you were not distributing drugs
– Demonstrating you were at the wrong place at the wrong time
– Showing you were not involved in any activities related to trafficking nor aware they existed
– Arguing police did not have warrants authorizing searches conducted on premises
– Asserting that law enforcement lacked credible reasons justifying their search operations
We do everything within our power to ensure clients avoid convictions’ dire consequences resulting from distribution or possession of controlled substances. Contact us today for a consultation with an experienced attorney who will fight to protect your rights and interests.
|Controlled Substances Categories||Examples|
|Stimulants||Methamphetamines, cocaine, amphetamines.|
|Narcotics||Fentanyl, morphine, methadone, opium and heroin.|
|Hallucinogens:||Ecstasy (MDMA), LSD (acid), peyote.|
Benzodiazepines like Xanax®, Rohypnol®(roofies), GHB
Request Free Consultation
Please fill out the form below to receive a free consultation, we will respond to your inquiry within 24-hours guaranteed.
INFORMATION REQUIRED *