NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED FEDERAL LAWYERS
Last Updated on: 26th September 2023, 04:07 am
Long Island Drug Possession Lawyer
Getting arrested for drug possession can be scary. You may be worried about going to jail, losing your job, or not being able to take care of your family. But having an experienced Long Island drug possession lawyer on your side can help. Keep reading to learn more about drug charges in Long Island, potential defenses, and how a lawyer can help.
Common Drug Charges in Long Island
Some of the most common drug possession charges in Long Island include:
- Marijuana possession – This includes possession of small amounts for personal use. Marijuana is illegal in New York, though possession of small amounts has been decriminalized in some cases.
- Cocaine possession – Possession of even a small amount of cocaine is a felony in New York.
- Heroin possession – Like cocaine, having any amount of heroin on you is a felony charge.
- Prescription drug possession – If you possess pills that are not prescribed to you, you could face misdemeanor or felony charges depending on the type of drug.
- Possession with intent to distribute – If you’re caught with larger quantities of drugs, you may be charged with intent to sell, which leads to much harsher penalties.
The specific charges and penalties depend on the type and amount of drug, your criminal history, and other circumstances. An experienced drug possession lawyer can help you understand the charges against you.
Potential Defenses in Drug Possession Cases
While drug charges should always be taken seriously, there may be defenses that can lead to reduced or dismissed charges in your case. Some potential defenses include:
- Illegal search – If the police searched you, your car, or your home without probable cause or a warrant, the drugs found may not be admissible in court. An attorney can argue to suppress this evidence.
- Improper testing – Faulty drug tests or contaminated samples could lead to a false positive. Your lawyer can scrutinize the testing methods.
- No knowledge – If someone left drugs in your bag or car without your knowledge, you may be able to avoid charges by proving you did not knowingly possess them.
- Entrapment – This applies when police coerced you into committing a crime you otherwise wouldn’t have. It’s a complex defense that requires proof of improper police conduct.
An experienced lawyer will thoroughly examine the details of your case to determine if any viable defenses apply.
Why Hire a Long Island Drug Possession Lawyer?
Trying to navigate the criminal justice system alone can be overwhelming. A drug possession lawyer can help by:
- Conducting an independent investigation of your arrest to identify potential defenses
- Negotiating with the prosecutor to get charges reduced or dismissed
- Guiding you through the legal process and answering all your questions
- Representing you in court hearings and at trial if necessary
- Helping minimize penalties if you are convicted, such as avoiding jail time
An experienced drug crimes attorney understands the complex laws and knows how prosecutors and judges typically handle these cases. Their legal knowledge and negotiation skills can prove invaluable.
Finding the Right Long Island Drug Possession Lawyer
Not all attorneys have the same skills and experience. When researching lawyers, look for:
- Experience handling drug possession cases specifically, not just any criminal defense
- Knowledge of local laws, prosecutors, judges
- Track record of positive case results
- Strong communication skills and responsiveness
- Reasonable legal fees
Also consider lawyers who offer free consultations so you can meet with them and ask questions before deciding who to hire.
What to Expect After Hiring a Lawyer
The legal process after hiring a drug possession attorney may include:
- Consultation – The lawyer will want to hear details about your arrest and background to start building a defense strategy.
- Investigation – They will gather evidence, interview witnesses, and request records to support potential defenses.
- Negotiation – Your attorney will negotiate with the prosecutor, arguing to get charges reduced or dropped.
- Motions – They may make motions to suppress evidence or dismiss charges if there are legal issues with the case.
- Hearings – The lawyer will represent you in court if the case can’t be resolved pre-trial.
With an attorney guiding you, the process will feel much less intimidating. They know the system and will walk you through each step.
Don’t Go It Alone – Call a Lawyer Today
Being arrested for drug possession in Long Island can disrupt every aspect of your life. But an experienced criminal defense lawyer can help protect your rights, freedom and future. Don’t take chances – call a Long Island drug possession attorney today for a free consultation.
Some of the top drug possession lawyers in Long Island include:
- Spodek Law Group – Highly rated firm with proven success defending drug charges.
- Goldstein & Bashner – Seasoned lawyers with over 25 years experience specifically fighting drug possession cases.
- Edward Palermo – Skilled Long Island attorney with decades of experience handling drug crimes.
- Mirsky Law Firm – Top-rated defense firm assisting people facing drug allegations across Long Island.
With an experienced drug possession lawyer on your side, you can rest assured knowing your case is in capable hands. Don’t wait – call for help today.