NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED FEDERAL LAWYERS
Last Updated on: 5th December 2023, 08:34 pm
Fighting DUI Charges with a Long Island Criminal Defense Lawyer
Getting arrested for DUI can be a scary and overwhelming experience. Even if you feel the charges against you are unfair or exaggerated, the legal system can seem stacked against defendants without strong legal guidance. Having an experienced DUI defense lawyer on your side makes all the difference.
The stakes are high when facing DUI charges in New York. Potential penalties include heavy fines, license suspension, ignition interlock device installation, probation, and even jail time. The costs extend beyond the direct legal consequences too – a DUI conviction can seriously impact your career, insurance rates, custody rights, immigration status, and reputation.
The Initial Consultation – What a DUI Lawyer Needs to Know
The first step after a DUI arrest is to schedule a consultation with an attorney. This initial meeting allows the lawyer to learn key details about your case, advise you of your rights and options, and decide how to proceed. Be prepared to provide as much relevant information as possible, including:
- The date, time, and location of the traffic stop and arrest
- What led to you being pulled over and detained
- Field sobriety tests you were asked to perform
- Any breathalyzer or blood tests administered
- What you said to the officer during the stop
- Any dash cam or body cam video footage
- Names of witnesses to the incident
The more details you can provide, the better your lawyer will understand the circumstances leading to the charges. This helps identify potential issues with the traffic stop or investigation that could invalidate the case against you.
Common DUI Defenses Your Lawyer May Use
An experienced DUI defense lawyer has many strategies to get charges reduced or dismissed. Here are some of the most common defenses used:
- Lack of Probable Cause for the Traffic Stop
- Illegal Arrest
- Invalid Field Sobriety Tests
- Faulty Breathalyzer Results
- Illegal Blood Draw
- Violation of Right to an Attorney
- Mistaken Identity
What to Expect at Your DUI Arraignment
The arraignment hearing is your first court appearance after a DUI arrest. The judge informs you of the formal charges and penalties if convicted. You can plead guilty, not guilty, or no contest.
Pleading not guilty is usually the smartest initial move, even if you plan to take a plea bargain later. This preserves your rights and buys time to negotiate or build defenses. The judge also considers bail, release conditions, and suspension of your driver’s license at arraignment.
The Benefits of Taking DUI Cases to Trial
While many DUI cases end in plea bargains, sometimes taking your case to trial is the best strategic option. Although trials are time-consuming and eliminate guaranteed outcomes, they also give your lawyer the chance to contest the charges before a judge or jury.
Negotiating DUI Plea Bargains
Over 90% of DUI cases end with plea bargain agreements prior to trial. This involves pleading guilty in exchange for lesser charges or a lighter sentence. Prosecutors often favor plea bargains because they save time and resources.
Using Diversion Programs to Avoid Conviction
Another potential resolution is entering a diversion program. These programs allow eligible first-time offenders to complete classes, community service, and other conditions in exchange for avoiding a criminal record.
Finding the Right Long Island DUI Lawyer for Your Case
Not all lawyers have the same track record of success in defending DUI cases. When searching for the best attorney, look for these important qualifications:
- Extensive experience fighting Long Island DUIs specifically. Local knowledge is a must.
- A proven record of getting charges reduced or dismissed pre-trial.
- Familiarity with local police officers and prosecutors. These connections facilitate better plea deals.
- Strong negotiation skills to secure the most favorable outcomes.
- Willingness to take valid cases to trial rather than settling.
- Affordable rates and flexible payment options. DUI defenses shouldn’t break the bank.
- Responsiveness and personalized attention. You need an advocate in your corner.
- Positive past client reviews. A lawyer can’t fake a strong reputation.
Facing DUI charges is daunting, but the outlook improves dramatically when you have the right legal guidance. A knowledgeable Long Island DUI defense attorney can often get charges dropped entirely or at least minimized. Don’t leave your fate to chance – let an expert build your strongest case today.