NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED FEDERAL LAWYERS
Los Angeles DUI Lawyers – A Helpful and Conversational Guide
Getting arrested for a DUI can be a scary and overwhelming experience. But with the right Los Angeles DUI lawyer on your side, you can get through it. In this article, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know about finding the best DUI lawyer in LA, what to expect from the legal process, and how a good lawyer can help you.
Why You Need a DUI Lawyer
Let’s start with why having a lawyer is so important. DUI charges carry heavy punishments like jail time, license suspension, fines, classes, and more. Even for a first offense. You need someone experienced fighting these charges. DUI laws can be complicated too, with things like rising blood alcohol limits for commercial licenses. An experienced Los Angeles DUI attorney knows all the technicalities and defenses to fight for you.
A lawyer can also negotiate with the prosecutor for a better plea deal or reduced charges. Prosecutors know that a skilled lawyer will challenge their evidence and work hard to defend you at trial. So they may offer a better deal rather than risk losing at trial. An LA DUI lawyer knows how to get you the best outcome.
Finding the Best DUI Lawyer in Los Angeles
OK, so you know you need a lawyer. But how do you find the best one for your case in a huge city like LA? Here are some tips:
- Look for a lawyer who specializes in DUIs – you want someone who focuses specifically on drunk driving defense every day.
- Find a lawyer with plenty of experience – look for 10+ years specifically handling DUI cases.
- Make sure they have great client reviews – this shows a history of positive results.
- Look for good credentials like awards, memberships, and high ratings from lawyer review sites.
- Find someone you’re comfortable with – you’ll be working closely together.
The lawyers at the best DUI defense firms in Los Angeles will have all of these. Don’t just go with any criminal defense lawyer – find one who specializes in drunk driving specifically. This DUI lawyer directory for LA is a great place to start your search.
The Legal Process After a DUI Arrest
Being arrested for DUI can be scary. Having a lawyer guide you through the process makes it much less intimidating. Here’s a quick overview of what to expect:
- The arrest – Police will administer field sobriety tests and a breathalyzer test. They may also draw blood for a BAC test.
- Booking & bail – You’ll be photographed, fingerprinted and can post bail to be released until your court date.
- Arraignment – This first court appearance is to hear the charges against you and enter a plea.
- Pre-trial negotiations – Your lawyer can negotiate with the prosecutor for reduced charges or a plea deal.
- Motions & hearings – Your lawyer may file motions to suppress evidence or dismiss the case.
- Trial – If no plea deal, your case will go to trial where your lawyer defends you against the charges.
- Sentencing – If found guilty, the judge will impose penalties like jail, fines, classes, license suspension.
Having an experienced DUI lawyer to guide you through makes the process much less intimidating. They know how to effectively negotiate, defend you in hearings, and get you the best outcome at sentencing if found guilty.
How a Lawyer Defends Against DUI Charges
When you’re facing DUI charges, having a relentless defense lawyer makes all the difference. An experienced Los Angeles DUI attorney will thoroughly examine the prosecutor’s evidence and use every strategy to fight the charges. Here are some of the most common DUI defense tactics:
- Challenge probable cause – Question if police had valid reason to pull you over and test you.
- Dispute BAC results – Raise doubts about accuracy of breathalyzer or blood tests.
- Suppress evidence – Get thrown out if police violated procedures in collecting it.
- Negotiate reductions – Work out plea deals for lesser charges like reckless driving.
- Attack field sobriety tests – Challenge their validity and subjectivity.
An experienced lawyer knows which defenses apply to your case and how to effectively argue them. Having a relentless advocate can get charges reduced or even dismissed. Don’t leave your fate to chance – hire a proven DUI defense lawyer.
What Makes a Great DUI Lawyer
When looking for a DUI lawyer, you want someone who will fight relentlessly for you. Here are some key qualities that set the best drunk driving lawyers apart:
- Tenacious negotiators who work prosecutors for better deals
- Meticulous examiners who uncover holes in the prosecution’s case
- Relentless trial lawyers who shine in courtroom defense
- Empathetic counselors who support you through the stress
- Tireless workers who leave no stone unturned in your defense
The lawyers at top DUI defense firms have these qualities and more. Don’t settle for less when your future is on the line.
How Much Does a DUI Lawyer Cost in Los Angeles?
The cost of a DUI lawyer can vary quite a bit based on experience, reputation, and the specifics of your case. On average though, you can expect to pay:
- $2,000 – $5,000 for a plea deal
- $5,000 – $15,000 if your case goes to trial
- Possibly over $25,000 for serious injuries or other complications
Hiring a DUI lawyer is a major investment. But it’s one that pays off by avoiding the huge future costs of fines, insurance hikes, and lost income from a license suspension or jail time. A top Los Angeles DUI attorney has the skills to minimize the penalties so you can move on with your life.
Questions to Ask When Hiring a Lawyer
Once you’ve narrowed down your search, interview potential lawyers to find the best fit. Here are some good questions to ask:
- How long have you been practicing DUI law specifically?
- What is your strategy for defending my charges?
- What are the possible outcomes you see for my case?
- Will you be the attorney actually handling my case?
- What are your fees and what do they include?
- Can I speak with some of your past DUI clients?
Their answers will help you understand their experience, approach, and what to expect if you hire them. Go with the lawyer who gives you confidence they’ll get you the best result.
Why Hire Us as Your DUI Lawyer
When you choose [Law Firm Name] for your DUI defense, you get relentless advocates with proven results. Our attorneys have:
- Over 15 years focused exclusively on DUI defense
- An exceptional record of charges reduced and dismissed
- Experience as former DUI prosecutors
- Hundreds of positive client reviews
We know what it takes to beat DUI cases and have the skills to give you the best chance at minimizing penalties. Don’t leave your future to chance. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.
With an experienced Los Angeles DUI lawyer guiding you, you can get through this difficult time and move on with your life. The stakes are high, so be sure to hire a proven advocate. The lawyers at [Law Firm Name] are here to help – contact us to take the first step.