Best Torrance Criminal Lawyers
Best Torrance Criminal Defense Lawyers
Finding the right criminal defense lawyer in Torrance can make all the difference in the outcome of your case. As a defendant, you want an attorney who is aggressive, experienced, and compassionate. The stakes are high, so you need someone in your corner who will fight tirelessly on your behalf.
This article reviews some of the top-rated criminal lawyers in Torrance who have a proven track record of success.
What Makes a Great Criminal Defense Lawyer
When searching for a criminal defense attorney, there are certain qualities you should look for. The best lawyers:
- Have extensive experience handling cases similar to yours
- Are respected by judges and prosecutors
- Are comfortable taking cases to trial if needed
- Have a team of investigators and experts they work with
- Make you feel heard and provide responsive communication
- Fight aggressively on your behalf, but are also pragmatic
It also helps if they offer free consultations, flexible payment plans, and have great online reviews.
Top Criminal Defense Firms in Torrance
Here are some of the most highly-rated criminal defense firms and lawyers serving clients in the Torrance area:
Torrance Criminal Defense Lawyer Matthew Ruff
Matthew Ruff Law Offices have been defending clients in Torrance for over 30 years. Ruff is a former Torrance prosecutor, so he knows how they operate. His firm handles felony and misdemeanor cases of all types, including DUI, domestic violence, theft, and drug crimes.
Ruff is known for his aggressive litigation style and track record of success. Past clients say he is professional and really fights for the best possible outcome in each case.
Greg Hill & Associates
Greg Hill is an experienced violent crimes and criminal defense lawyer in Torrance. He is a former prosecutor, giving him insight into how the prosecution works. Hill & Associates represent clients facing charges like murder, assault, robbery, gang crimes, and more.
Hill takes an aggressive and proactive approach to build the strongest defense possible. He has successfully defended many complex, high-profile cases over his 30+ year career.
Torrance DUI Attorney Michael Kraut
Michael Kraut Law Offices focus exclusively on DUI and criminal defense cases. Kraut is a former Deputy District Attorney who now puts his prosecutorial experience to work defending clients. He has successfully defended over 4,000 DUI cases, with over 90% of clients avoiding jail time.
Kraut Law Offices provide personalized attention to each case. Attorney Kraut is praised for his compassion, responsiveness, and legal expertise.
What to Expect from a Consultation
The first step after an arrest is consulting with a defense lawyer. Smart defendants take advantage of free case consultations to find the right attorney.
In the initial consultation, you can expect to discuss:
- The details of your arrest and charges
- Any evidence or statements collected by police
- Potential defenses that apply to your case
- Legal strategy moving forward
- Attorney fees and payment options
This is your chance to share your side, assess whether you feel comfortable with the lawyer, and determine if they are the right fit for your case.
Questions to Ask During a Consultation
To make the most of the initial consultation, here are some key questions to ask:
- How much experience do you have with this type of criminal charge?
- What will your legal fees be if I hire you? Are payment plans available?
- What outcome is most likely in my case if you defend me?
- Will you be the attorney actually handling my case?
- How quickly do you respond to client calls and emails?
- Can you provide references from past clients I could speak to?
Defense Strategies for Common Criminal Charges
Experienced criminal defense attorneys have developed proven techniques for fighting various charges. Here is an overview of defense strategies they may use:
For DUI and drunk driving charges, common strategies include:
- Challenging the legality of the traffic stop and arrest
- Questioning the accuracy of breathalyzer and blood test results
- Raising doubt about whether the defendant was actually impaired
- Verifying proper procedures were followed during arrest and testing
Domestic Violence Defense
To defend against domestic violence charges, lawyers may:
- Challenge the accuser’s credibility and motives
- Raise self-defense as justification
- Argue the incident was an accident, not intentional
- Highlight mitigating circumstances like mental health issues
Drug Crime Defense
For drug possession, sales, and trafficking charges, attorneys can:
- Challenge the legality of searches resulting in evidence
- Dispute whether the drugs actually belonged to the defendant
- Argue the defendant was entrapped by police
- Raise constitutional privacy protections
Theft Crime Defense
Strategies lawyers use for theft, robbery, and burglary charges include:
- Fighting the accuracy of eyewitness identifications
- Challenging circumstantial evidence tying the defendant to the crime
- Raising doubt by implicating other potential suspects
- Using DNA evidence or alibis to prove innocence
This overview shows the wide range of options skilled criminal defense lawyers have for building a strong case. An experienced attorney thoroughly investigates the details to identify and execute the best defense.
Why Hiring a Lawyer is Critical
Navigating the criminal justice system on your own is extremely difficult. Prosecutors have the full resources of the state behind them. Without an attorney, you could end up accepting a plea deal that is not in your best interest.
Smart defendants hire a criminal lawyer to:
- Conduct a proactive investigation and build a defense
- Identify procedural problems or illegal actions by police
- Negotiate with the prosecution for reduced charges
- Prepare witnesses and evidence for trial
- Advocate aggressively on your behalf in court
In most cases, hiring a criminal defense lawyer greatly improves the odds of an acquittal or getting charges dropped or reduced.
Find the Best Torrance Criminal Defense Attorney for Your Case
If you or a loved one are facing criminal charges in the Torrance area, do not delay in finding an experienced attorney to defend you. The lawyers profiled in this article have the skills and track record to build the strongest possible case.
Act now by contacting defense firms in Torrance to schedule a free consultation. An attorney can advise you of your rights, options, and best legal strategy moving forward. With an aggressive criminal defense lawyer on your side, you can rest assured knowing your case is in good hands.