Best Thousand Oaks Criminal Lawyers
The Top Criminal Defense Attorneys in Thousand Oaks, California
Finding the right criminal defense attorney can make all the difference in the outcome of your case. If you’ve been charged with a crime in Thousand Oaks, California, having an experienced and knowledgeable lawyer on your side is crucial. In this article, we’ll highlight some of the top-rated criminal lawyers in the Thousand Oaks area who have a proven track record of success.
Factors to Consider When Hiring a Criminal Lawyer
When researching criminal defense attorneys in Thousand Oaks, there are a few key factors you’ll want to keep in mind:
- Experience – Look for a lawyer who has extensive experience specifically handling criminal cases similar to yours. An attorney who regularly deals with criminal charges like DUI, theft, domestic violence, etc. will be well-versed in the local courts and prosecutors.
- Results – Do some research to find out about the case results your potential attorney has achieved in the past. Success rates in getting charges reduced or dismissed can indicate how effective they may be for you.
- Reputation – Choose a criminal lawyer with a solid reputation among peers and judges in the Ventura County legal community. A respected attorney will often have better rapport with prosecutors and judges.
- Resources – Make sure your lawyer has the resources and manpower to thoroughly investigate, research, and prepare your defense. Solo practitioners are often overburdened, so larger firms may be better equipped.
- Personality – Because your attorney will be your most important ally, make sure you choose someone you feel comfortable with and can trust. Your confidence in their skills and judgment is vital.
Top Criminal Law Firms and Attorneys in Thousand Oaks
Here are some of the most highly-rated and reputable criminal defense lawyers practicing in the Thousand Oaks area:
Lessem, Newstat & Tooson, LLP
With over 25 years of experience, Lessem, Newstat & Tooson, LLP has an excellent reputation and track record with criminal cases in Thousand Oaks. Partners Craig Lessem and Sam Tooson are both former prosecutors, giving them inside knowledge of the local court system. The firm handles everything from DUI and domestic violence charges to white collar crimes.
Karen Oakman, Attorney at Law
Specializing in DUI and DMV hearings, attorney Karen Oakman is a top-rated criminal lawyer in Thousand Oaks. A former Senior Deputy District Attorney, Oakman now puts her prosecutorial experience to work defending clients. She is known for her tenacious litigation skills and detailed trial preparation.
Shahaab Tehrani, Tehrani Law Firm
With over 100 jury trials under his belt, attorney Shahaab Tehrani has extensive criminal defense experience. His firm handles felonies and misdemeanors ranging from drug charges to sex crimes. Former clients praise Tehrani for his legal knowledge and for achieving extremely favorable case results.
Law Offices of Donald W. Ford
Backed by over 20 years of criminal law expertise, attorney Donald W. Ford capably defends clients against both state and federal charges. His Thousand Oaks law firm provides skilled legal representation for cases involving DUI, theft, fraud, weapons violations, and more. Ford is known for his relentless commitment to clients.
Andrew Roberts, Law Office of Andrew Roberts
As a local native, attorney Andrew Roberts has his finger on the pulse of the Ventura County court system. His criminal defense practice focuses on DUI, domestic violence, and juvenile crimes. Roberts takes time to explain the law and legal process to clients in easy-to-understand terms.
John J. Pinnell, Attorney at Law
With decades of criminal defense experience under his belt, attorney John Pinnell has successfully defended numerous complex felony cases. His practice areas include weapons charges, sex crimes, theft, and gang allegations. Pinnell, who has tried over 150 cases, is praised for his sharp legal skills and compassion for clients.
How Criminal Lawyers Defend Clients in Thousand Oaks
The exact strategies a criminal defense attorney will use depends on the details of each individual case. But some of the most common tactics they may employ include:
- Conducting in-depth investigations – Thoroughly probing the circumstances and evidence (or lack of evidence) to build the strongest case possible.
- Negotiating with the prosecutor – Leveraging their experience and relationships to get charges reduced or dismissed through plea bargains.
- Filing suppression motions – Seeking to exclude illegally obtained or questionable evidence from trial.
- Presenting affirmative defenses – Raising justifications, excuses or mitigating circumstances to defeat or reduce charges.
- Rigorously cross-examining – Intensely questioning witnesses to undermine the prosecution’s case and raise reasonable doubt.
- Securing expert witnesses – Bringing in specialists like toxicologists, forensic experts, psychologists, etc. to support the defense.
- Advocating at sentencing – Passionately arguing for reduced sentencing and alternative punishments if a conviction occurs.
The bottom line is that an adept Thousand Oaks criminal lawyer thoroughly prepares at every phase, spotting issues the client may not see. Their experience, negotiation skills, and trial advocacy can make a huge difference in the outcome.
Why Hiring the Right Lawyer Matters
Facing criminal charges can be an extremely stressful and frightening experience. The penalties for being found guilty can potentially involve massive fines, probation, and years behind bars.
With so much on the line, retaining an experienced criminal defense lawyer you trust and who has a proven record of success could make all the difference. The right attorney has the skills and knowledge to build the strongest case possible on your behalf, or negotiate a favorable plea deal if that becomes the best option.
Don’t leave the fate of your case up to chance. Work with a reputable and aggressive criminal lawyer who will tirelessly defend your rights, freedom and future. The attorneys profiled above are among the top-rated criminal defense lawyers practicing in Thousand Oaks and stand ready to go to bat for you.