Best Tempe Criminal Lawyers
Finding the Right Criminal Defense Attorney in Tempe, AZ
Hey there! If you’re reading this, you’re probably looking for help finding a criminal defense lawyer in Tempe. I feel you – getting in legal trouble is scary. But don’t worry, I’m here to help you find the right attorney to fight for your case.
Why You Need a Lawyer
First things first, if you’ve been arrested or charged with a crime, you need a lawyer. I know it costs money to hire one, but not having one could cost you way more in the long run. The prosecutors have way more experience than you do, so you need someone on your side who knows the system and will fight to protect your rights.A good lawyer can help in all sorts of ways:
- Negotiate with the prosecutor to get charges reduced or dismissed
- Identify violations of your rights and get evidence thrown out
- Craft strong defense strategies based on the facts of your case
- Present evidence and witnesses that support your defense
- Advocate for an alternative sentence instead of jail time
Basically, your lawyer levels the playing field so you have the best shot at the best outcome. So don’t try to handle this alone – get yourself a fighter in your corner.
Finding the Right Attorney for You
Okay, so you know you need a lawyer, but how do you pick the right one? There are a ton of options out there, so here are some tips:
Look for Experience Handling Your Type of Case
If you’ve been charged with something like domestic violence or a DUI, you’ll want someone who specializes in those types of cases. Ask any lawyer you’re considering:
- How many years have you been practicing criminal law?
- What percentage of your caseload focuses on my type of charge?
- How many cases similar to mine have you handled in the past year?
Experience matters, so go with someone who really knows the ins and outs of defending cases like yours.
Consider Their Track Record of Success
You obviously want an attorney who gets results for their clients. Some questions to ask:
- What are your rates of case dismissals and acquittals?
- Can you share examples of positive outcomes you’ve gotten for past clients?
- Do you have any client testimonials I could read?
Vet their claims carefully – a lawyer can say they’re great at getting charges dropped, but you want to see the receipts.
Meet Them in Person First
You want an attorney who you feel comfortable talking to openly and honestly about your case. See if they offer free consultations so you can get a feel for:
- How well you communicate together
- If they listen carefully and answer your questions
- If you can trust them to fight their hardest for you
Go with your gut – if it doesn’t seem like a good personality fit, keep looking for your defender.
Understand How They Charge Fees
Lawyers have different fee structures – hourly, flat rate, payment plans, etc. Get clear on:
- Do they charge a retainer fee upfront? If so, how much?
- What are their hourly rates if the case goes to trial?
- Are there additional fees for things like expert witnesses or investigators?
- Can they offer flexible payment plans?
You want the best representation you can afford, so ask lots of questions.
Top Criminal Defense Firms in Tempe
Alright, now you know what to look for in an attorney. Here are some of the top-rated criminal defense firms in Tempe I’d recommend checking out:
Matthew Fendon is a former prosecutor who’s been practicing criminal law since 2003. He and his team specialize in defending DUIs and domestic violence charges. Past clients rave about his attention to detail and compassion.
Led by David Michael Cantor, DM Cantor has an amazing 97% success rate and offers free case evaluations. Their Tempe office has extensive experience with drug charges, theft, and juvenile crimes.
Defense attorney Bret Perlman handles complex felony cases like homicide, sex crimes and gang-related charges. He’s known for his relentless advocacy and knack for exposing flaws in the prosecution’s case.
Benjamin Katz and Brad Bloom have over 50 years of combined experience defending clients in Tempe and across Arizona. They’ve secured many not guilty verdicts for violent crime, drug trafficking and other major felony charges.
Mark Zickerman is a former public defender who now runs a boutique firm specializing in DUI, domestic violence and juvenile cases. He’s praised for his compassionate approach and success at reaching reasonable plea agreements.
Finding the Best Attorney for Your Situation
I gave you a head start with those recommendations, but make sure you do your research to find the very best criminal defense lawyer for your unique situation in Tempe. This is your future on the line, so take the time to understand all your options.And remember – the right attorney can make all the difference, so invest in the one you feel most confident in. Don’t take chances on your freedom and criminal record. You got this! Just make that call and take the first step toward protecting your rights.You’ll get through this – and I’m rooting for you! Let me know if you have any other questions.