Best Sunnyvale Criminal Lawyers
Hey there! Dealing with criminal charges is scary stuff. You’re probably feeling anxious, overwhelmed, and unsure of what to do next. Well, take a deep breath because your pals at Sunnyvale Criminal Defense have got your back. We’re a team of criminal defense attorneys who live and breathe this stuff every day. Let us walk you through what to expect and how we can help.
An Overview of the Criminal Justice Process
If you’ve been arrested or charged with a crime, the first thing you’ll go through is the booking process at the police station. They’ll take your fingerprints, mug shot, and basic information. Then it’s off to county jail until your arraignment, which is just a fancy word for your first court appearance.At the arraignment, you’ll hear the formal charges against you and enter a plea of guilty, not guilty, or no contest. The judge will also consider whether to release you on bail. If you can’t afford a bail bondsman, your Sunnyvale criminal lawyer can argue for your release at this stage.Once that’s done, your case moves into the pretrial phase, where the prosecution and defense exchange information through the discovery process. This is when we’ll receive police reports, witness statements, forensic test results – anything relating to your charges.After reviewing everything, your attorney will discuss defense strategies with you. This could involve negotiating with the prosecutor, filing motions to get certain evidence thrown out, or taking your case to trial. Every case is different, so we tailor our approach to your unique situation.If it goes to trial, your Sunnyvale criminal defense lawyer will thoroughly prepare by interviewing witnesses, hiring experts if needed, and planning questions for cross-examination. We’ll fight tooth and nail to get your charges dismissed or reduced.But if the evidence is stacked against you, we may recommend accepting a plea bargain instead of risking a harsher sentence at trial. The final decision is always up to you – we just want to lay out all your options.
Common Criminal Charges in Sunnyvale
Some of the most common criminal offenses we see in Sunnyvale include:
- Drug crimes: Possession, possession for sale, transportation, manufacturing, etc. of illegal substances like marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin, psychedelics, prescription meds, and more.
- DUI: Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. This includes misdemeanor DUIs, felony DUIs (if you have multiple priors), and DUI causing injury/death.
- Theft crimes: Shoplifting, grand theft, petty theft, identity theft, embezzlement, forgery, fraud, and other theft-related crimes.
- Domestic violence: Penal code 273.5 covers domestic battery and corporal injury charges.
- Assault & battery: Violent crimes like assault with a deadly weapon, battery, and aggravated assault.
- Sex crimes: Rape, statutory rape, sexual assault, indecent exposure, and other sex offenses.
- Weapons charges: Illegal possession of firearms, knives, brass knuckles, etc.
- Vandalism & property crimes: Trespassing, graffiti, arson, vandalism, and destruction of property.
- Resisting arrest: Preventing an officer from carrying out their lawful duties.
The list goes on and on. From misdemeanors to serious felonies, our Sunnyvale criminal defense attorneys have seen it all. We’ll analyze the details of your specific charges to build the strongest defense.
Why You Need a Local Sunnyvale Criminal Lawyer on Your Side
There are a few key reasons why it’s so important to have an experienced Sunnyvale criminal attorney representing you:
We Know the Local Courts and Prosecutors
Each county’s prosecutors and judges have their own tendencies, pet peeves, and negotiation styles. Over our many years practicing criminal law in Sunnyvale, we’ve gotten to know them well. We’ll use our insider knowledge to predict their strategies and achieve the best outcome for your case.
We Understand Local Laws and Penalties
California has thousands of statutes on the books. The criminal laws in Sunnyvale or Santa Clara County may differ from those in LA or San Francisco. We stay up-to-date on the latest local laws and penalties to build a rock-solid defense.
We Have Relationships with Legal System Players
Through our many years in this field, we’ve built strong working relationships with judges, clerks, police officers, forensics experts, and others. These connections can often make or break a case, so it pays to have an established local lawyer on your side.
We’re Passionate About Helping Our Community
Many of our attorneys and staff live right here in the Sunnyvale area. We care deeply about our neighbors and friends who are going through the criminal justice system. We’ll treat you like family and fight passionately because your life and future are on the line.
Criminal Defense Strategies We May Use
As mentioned earlier, the best defense strategy depends entirely on the unique circumstances of your case. But some of the most common ones we employ include:
- Challenging improper police procedures: If the police violated your rights or didn’t follow protocol during your arrest, any resulting evidence may be excluded. This could get the whole case dismissed.
- Disputing eyewitness identifications: Eyewitness misidentification is a leading cause of wrongful convictions. We can challenge the reliability of eyewitness testimony.
- Questioning the validity of forensic evidence: Crime labs make mistakes too. We rigorously assess the collection and testing of any DNA, fingerprints, ballistics, or other forensic evidence.
- Seeking diversion programs: For some non-violent offenses, we may be able to get you into a diversion program like drug court, community service, rehab, etc. to avoid a conviction.
- Negotiating with the prosecutor: We leverage our skills and experience to negotiate with the DA’s office for reduced or dismissed charges.
- Presenting affirmative defenses: In some cases, we can argue justifiable self-defense, lack of criminal intent, diminished mental capacity, duress, entrapment, and other affirmative defenses.
- Securing expert witnesses: We aren’t afraid to bring in forensic experts, private investigators, psychologists, and other specialists to bolster your defense.
- Advocating for mental health/addiction treatment: Where appropriate, we’ll fight for court-ordered therapy or rehab instead of jail time.
The reality is, most criminal cases end in plea bargains – not dramatic courtroom trials like you see on TV. An experienced local lawyer knows how to get you the best deal possible before your case ever reaches trial.
What Makes a Good Criminal Defense Attorney?
If you’re going to entrust such an important job to someone, you’ll want to look for these key qualities in a criminal lawyer:
- Excellent negotiation skills: Since most cases involve plea bargaining, you need someone who can fiercely negotiate on your behalf.
- Courtroom experience: Even if they don’t go to trial often, your lawyer should know their way around a courtroom and feel comfortable arguing before a judge.
- Thoroughness and attention to detail: They’ll meticulously examine police reports, witness statements, forensic evidence and other aspects of your case.
- Creativity: The best defense lawyers think outside the box to develop strategies you’d never expect. They leave no stone unturned.
- Compassion: They should treat you like a human being, not just a paycheck. Look for genuine empathy and concern.
- Clear communication: They should listen attentively, explain things in plain English, and keep you informed each step of the way.
- Trial skills: If it does go to trial, you want an attorney with stellar oral advocacy skills, comfort with public speaking, and razor-sharp cross-examination abilities.
- Resourcefulness: They have the experience and connections to find specialists, expert witnesses, investigators, and other resources as needed.
The attorneys at Sunnyvale Criminal Defense check every box. Just read our glowing client reviews!
Your Free Case Evaluation from Sunnyvale Criminal Attorneys
If you or someone you love is facing criminal charges in Sunnyvale, the first step is to schedule a free, no-obligation case evaluation. Come meet with us in person or jump on a phone call to discuss:
- The details of your criminal charges
- Your rights and options
- Defense strategies
- Possible penalties
- And more!
We’ll take the time to understand your unique situation inside and out. There’s no risk or commitment involved – it’s just a chance to get pointed in the right direction. You can breathe easy knowing you have compassionate criminal attorneys in your corner who are experts in the local courts and laws.We offer flexible payment plans and options to handle cases at all budget levels. Don’t leave your future up to chance. Get in touch with the Sunnyvale criminal defense pros today!