Best St. George Criminal Lawyers
The Top Criminal Defense Attorneys in St. George, Utah
Finding yourself in need of a criminal defense attorney can be an incredibly stressful and scary situation. You likely have a lot of questions about the legal process, your rights, and what to expect. This article provides an overview of the top criminal defense attorneys in St. George, Utah who can help guide you through the complex criminal justice system.
Why Hire an Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer?
If you’ve been arrested or charged with a crime, having an experienced criminal defense lawyer on your side is crucial. The stakes are high, and you need someone who knows the ins and outs of criminal law and procedure in Utah. An attorney can:
- Advise you on your legal rights. Your lawyer will explain exactly what rights you have under the law and make sure you understand them. This includes your right to remain silent, your right to bail, and your right to legal counsel.
- Handle communications with police and prosecutors. Your attorney will deal with the police and prosecutors for you, acting as an intermediary and advocate. This takes a huge burden off your shoulders.
- Conduct an independent investigation. Your lawyer has the resources to investigate the facts of your case, interview witnesses, collect evidence, and build the strongest defense possible.
- Negotiate with the prosecution. An attorney can negotiate with the prosecution on your behalf to get charges reduced or dismissed or work out a favorable plea deal. This is especially important if the state has a strong case against you.
- Provide experienced representation in court. If your case goes to trial, your lawyer’s courtroom skills and negotiation tactics can be the difference between a guilty verdict or an acquittal.
Top Criminal Defense Law Firms in St. George
If you’re facing criminal charges, these experienced law firms have the skills and track record to provide you with the strongest possible legal defense:
1. Belnap Law PLLC
Led by attorney Andrew Belnap, Belnap Law handles all types of criminal cases including DUI, drug crimes, domestic violence, theft, and juvenile cases. Andrew is a former prosecutor, giving him insight into the prosecution’s strategies. He takes an aggressive yet strategic approach, thoroughly analyzing the prosecution’s case for any weaknesses. Andrew has successfully defended clients facing serious felony charges and gotten charges reduced or dismissed pre-trial.
2. Buhman Law PLLC
Attorney Aaron Buhman of Buhman Law has over a decade of criminal defense experience. He is a former public defender trained to quickly identify important issues and formulate a defense strategy. Aaron handles both misdemeanors and complex felonies ranging from drug trafficking to sex crimes. He is also experienced in post-conviction relief and record expungement. Clients praise Aaron for his responsiveness and clear communication.
3. Snow Jensen & Reece
The criminal defense team at Snow Jensen & Reece provides aggressive representation for clients facing DUI, domestic violence, drug crimes, violent crimes, white collar crimes, and juvenile offenses. Led by attorney V. Lowry Snow, their team includes former prosecutors who anticipate the prosecution’s moves. They are known for thoroughly analyzing evidence, utilizing forensic experts, and negotiating strongly for their clients.
4. Jeffery C. Howe, Attorney at Law
A St. George native, attorney Jeffery Howe provides personalized attention and stellar legal representation. He handles all types of criminal charges including domestic violence, drug crimes, DUI, violent crimes, sex crimes, and theft. Jeffery is experienced in getting charges reduced and crafting effective defense strategies. Previous clients praise his compassion, responsiveness, and legal skills.
5. Michael D. Esplin, Attorney at Law
Known for his meticulous trial preparation and persuasive courtroom presence, attorney Michael Esplin has successfully defended clients against serious felony charges. The former Iron County Attorney handles cases ranging from homicide and sex crimes to white collar offenses. Michael has a reputation for thoroughly analyzing the prosecution’s case, finding weaknesses, and building an aggressive, multifaceted defense.
What to Expect When Hiring a Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you decide to hire one of these criminal defense firms, here is an overview of what you can expect:
- Initial consultation: The lawyer will meet with you for an initial consultation to discuss your charges, explain your rights, and begin formulating a defense strategy. This is your chance to share your side.
- Case investigation: Your attorney will start gathering information through witness interviews, collecting documents and evidence, visiting the crime scene, hiring experts, and more.
- Legal research: Analyzing prior case law and statutes is key to building your defense and understanding the prosecution’s burden of proof. Your lawyer will research thoroughly.
- Pretrial motions: Your lawyer may make motions to get evidence thrown out or charges dismissed if there are legal issues with the case.
- Plea negotiations: Your attorney will negotiate with the prosecutor regarding reducing charges or sentencing recommendations.
- Trial preparation: If your case goes to trial, your lawyer will spend significant time preparing your defense strategy, witnesses, evidence presentation, cross-examination plans, and opening/closing arguments.
- Client communication: Throughout the process, your attorney will keep you updated on the case status, strategy, and next steps so you know what is happening.
Facing criminal prosecution can be extremely daunting. Hiring one of these experienced St. George criminal defense attorneys will provide you with the strongest legal defense. They have the skills and knowledge to protect your rights, thoroughly analyze your case, craft an effective strategy, and advocate aggressively on your behalf. With an attorney in your corner, you can feel confident your case is in good hands.