Best Scottsdale Criminal Lawyers
Finding the Best Criminal Defense in Scottsdale, Arizona
Getting charged with a crime in Scottsdale can be scary. Even if you’re innocent, the legal system is complicated. You need someone in your corner who knows the law inside and out. A good criminal defense lawyer can make all the difference.
I did a ton of research to find the top criminal attorneys in Scottsdale. I looked at experience, track record, client reviews and more. Here are my picks for the best of the best.
What to Look for in a Scottsdale Criminal Lawyer
Not all criminal lawyers are created equal. Here are some key factors I considered when researching the best attorneys in Scottsdale:
- Experience handling criminal cases in Scottsdale specifically
- Strong record of positive case results
- Familiarity with local judges and prosecutors
- Affordable rates and payment plans
- Good communication skills and responsiveness
- Compassion for clients and dedication to their best interests
You’ll notice the attorneys below check most or all of these boxes. They have the skills and track record to provide a strong defense.
Top Criminal Defense Law Firms in Scottsdale
James David Smith
James David Smith has over 25 years of criminal law experience. He handles both misdemeanors and felonies ranging from DUIs to sex crimes and domestic violence. Past clients praise his courtroom skills and compassionate approach.
The Law Offices of Ashley D. Adams, PLC
Founder Ashley Adams is a former prosecutor who now handles white collar crime defense. Her deep knowledge of how prosecutors build cases helps her aggressively defend clients against fraud, embezzlement and other charges.
Hernandez & Hamilton Law Firm
This firm is known for providing strong, personalized representation to clients facing charges from DUI to domestic violence and drug crimes. Their defense lawyers take time to understand each client’s unique situation.
What to Expect When Working with a Criminal Lawyer
Retaining a criminal defense attorney early on can make a huge difference. Here’s an overview of what you can expect:
- Initial consultation – The lawyer will want to sit down with you to learn the details of your case and discuss defense strategies. This first meeting is often free.
- Retainer fee – You’ll need to provide an upfront payment, called a retainer. This covers initial work on your case. Rates vary but expect to pay at least $2,000-$5,000.
- Case investigation – Your lawyer will request evidence from prosecutors, interview witnesses, research legal issues and more to build the strongest defense.
- Court appearances – Your attorney will represent you at arraignments, pretrial conferences, and hearings. They’ll also negotiate any plea bargains.
- Trial – If your case goes to trial, your lawyer will defend you before a judge or jury and advocate for the best possible outcome.
An experienced criminal lawyer guides you through each step. Their expertise can get charges reduced or dismissed, and prevent severe penalties. The peace of mind is invaluable.
Questions to Ask When Choosing a Lawyer
I recommend consulting with a few attorneys before deciding who to hire. Come prepared with questions like:
- How long have you practiced criminal law in Scottsdale?
- What is your track record with cases similar to mine?
- Are you taking new clients and able to devote sufficient time to my defense?
- What are your rates and payment plans?
- What defenses might apply in my case?
The Importance of Hiring the Right Lawyer
Having an experienced criminal defense lawyer makes all the difference. They know how to effectively argue your case and achieve the best outcome. Be sure to do your research to find someone who is:
- Knowledgeable about Scottsdale’s courts and criminal justice system
- Dedicated to defending clients and protecting their rights
- Affordable and upfront about fees
- Responsive and makes you feel comfortable and supported
The attorneys above are great options who meet these criteria. With the right lawyer in your corner, you can face criminal charges with confidence. Don’t go it alone – let an expert build your defense and represent your best interests.