Best Milwaukee Criminal Lawyers
Need a Criminal Lawyer in Milwaukee? We Gotchu
Hey there! If you’re reading this, chances are you or someone you care about it is in some legal trouble in Milwaukee. First off – don’t panic! There are lots of great criminal defense attorneys in the MKE area who can help. This article will give you the DL on finding the best lawyer for your situation.
Now I ain’t gonna lie – getting charged with a crime is scary biz. The cops, the courts, the procedures – it’s a lot to deal with. And if you don’t got the right legal eagle on your side, it can go south real fast. That’s why you gotta find a lawyer you can trust to fight for you.
What to Look for in a Milwaukee Criminal Lawyer
When looking for a good criminal lawyer in the Brew City, here’s some key things to keep in mind:
- Experience – You want someone whose been around the block a few times, knows the prosecutors and judges, and understands how things work in Milwaukee courts. A newbie lawyer just passing the bar ain’t gonna cut it.
- Specialization – Find someone who focuses specifically on criminal defense, not someone who dabbles in divorce law on the side. You need their full attention on your case.
- Resources – Make sure they have the time and resources to dig deep into the details of your case. Don’t just go with an overworked public defender.
- Communication – You need a lawyer who listens and keeps you in the loop. Look for someone who clearly explains things and is responsive.
- Affordability – Legal fees add up quick. Look for competitive rates and payment plans.
Types of Criminal Cases in Milwaukee
Milwaukee lawyers handle all kinds of criminal cases – from minor misdemeanors to serious violent felonies. Here’s a quick rundown of some common charges:
Getting busted with drugs in Milwaukee – whether marijuana, cocaine, heroin, or prescription meds – can land you in hot water. Possession, distribution, trafficking – it’ll all lead to criminal charges. Drug crimes also often come with asset forfeiture, where they can seize your property. You need an attorney who knows the intricacies of WI drug laws. A good lawyer can sometimes get charges reduced or dismissed through diversion programs. Check out this article for more info.
In Wisconsin, getting charged with a DUI happens quick – just .08 BAC. A first offense DUI is a civil violation, not a criminal charge. But it’s still serious biz, with fines, license suspension, and alcohol classes. And any additional DUIs can mean big criminal penalties. An experienced Milwaukee OWI lawyer knows how to challenge faulty breathalyzers and field sobriety tests. They can often plea bargain for reduced charges. This DUI site has more details on Wisconsin DUI laws.
DV charges are always tricky, nuanced cases. Allegations can destroy families, careers, and reputations. Many times the accusations are exaggerated or outright false. A seasoned Milwaukee domestic violence attorney will thoroughly investigate the claims and provide a rigorous defense. They know how to navigate the family court system and deal with restraining orders. Check out Birdsall Law’s DV page for more.
Sex crime accusations require sensitive, discreet legal guidance. Beyond the criminal penalties, just being charged can ruin someone’s life. An experienced sex crimes lawyer knows how to closely examine the evidence and testimony in “he said, she said” cases. They can argue consent, false accusations, mistaken identity, and more. If charges are filed, they can work to get them dismissed or reduced through plea deals. The lawyers at Kohler & Hart focus specifically on sex crime defense.
Finding the Right Milwaukee Criminal Attorney
So those are some of the basics on criminal law in Milwaukee. Where do you start finding the right lawyer? Here’s some options:
- Ask friends and family for referrals to lawyers they’ve used successfully.
- Search lawyer directories like Justia and SuperLawyers.
- Look for firms that specialize in criminal defense like Reddin & Singer.
- Check ratings on sites like Avvo.
- Contact the Milwaukee Bar Association lawyer referral service.
Set up consultations with a few options to discuss your case specifics. Pay attention to how they communicate and what their strategy would be. Make sure you feel comfortable working with them before signing any retainers.
The bottom line is – don’t go it alone if you’re facing criminal charges in Milwaukee. The legal system is complicated and the consequences are real. Having an experienced criminal lawyer in your corner can make all the difference. So do your research and find the right attorney for your situation. We’re rooting for you!