Best Lexington Criminal Lawyers
Lexington Criminal Lawyers – Your Guide to Finding the Best Defense Attorney
Getting charged with a crime in Lexington can be scary. You may be facing jail time, fines, probation, or other consequences that could seriously impact your life. Having the right criminal defense lawyer on your side can make all the difference. This article will give you an inside look at working with Lexington criminal attorneys, so you can make the best choice for your situation.
Do I Really Need a Criminal Lawyer?
Short answer – yes! If you’ve been arrested or charged with any crime, from a misdemeanor to a felony, you absolutely need an experienced criminal defense attorney. Prosecutors and police are building a case against you, so you need someone fighting for your rights, working to get charges reduced or dismissed, and negotiating the best possible outcome for your future.
Many people think they can handle a DUI or shoplifting charge on their own. But the legal system is complicated, and prosecutors often push for maximum penalties. A knowledgeable lawyer knows how to navigate the system and look for weaknesses in the prosecution’s case.
Bottom line – don’t take chances with your freedom. Hire a criminal defense lawyer, even for minor charges.
How Do I Choose the Right Lexington Criminal Attorney?
With so many options, choosing the right criminal lawyer can feel overwhelming. Here are key factors to consider:
- Experience – Look for a lawyer with extensive experience handling your specific charges in Lexington courts. An experienced attorney will know prosecutors and judges and have developed effective strategies.
- Resources – Make sure your lawyer has sufficient resources to thoroughly investigate your case, hire experts if needed, and take it to trial if necessary. Underfunded public defenders often have huge caseloads.
- Communication – You need an attorney who listens to you, answers your questions clearly, and keeps you updated on your case. Make sure you feel comfortable and confident communicating.
- Results – Research the lawyer’s track record handling similar cases. Do past clients say they achieved good results?
- Fees – Rates can vary widely, so get fee estimates upfront. But don’t choose solely based on price – experience and results are crucial.
Take time to research options, check reviews, and interview lawyers before deciding. This is a very important decision!
What Will My Criminal Defense Lawyer Do?
An experienced criminal defense attorney will provide a wide range of services, including:
- Reviewing police reports and evidence to identify weaknesses in the prosecution’s case
- Investigating the circumstances of your arrest/charges to build the strongest defense
- Filing motions to get evidence thrown out if it was obtained illegally
- Negotiating with the prosecutor to get charges reduced or dismissed
- Advising you on whether to take a plea deal or go to trial
- Presenting the strongest case and defenses at trial if necessary
- Ensuring your rights are protected throughout the legal process
In other words, your lawyer will leverage their expertise and resources to build the strongest case for your innocence or fight for the lightest penalties possible.
What Types of Charges Do Lexington Criminal Lawyers Handle?
Lexington criminal defense attorneys have experience handling virtually every type of criminal charge in local and state courts, including:
- Drug crimes – possession, trafficking, distribution, manufacturing, etc. Drug charges often bring severe penalties, so skilled legal defense is critical.
- DUI – driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Experienced DUI lawyers can often get charges reduced or dismissed.
- Theft/larceny – shoplifting, burglary, robbery, and more. A lawyer may be able to argue extenuating circumstances.
- Domestic violence – domestic assault, battery, stalking, and other charges. A lawyer can advise on restraining orders.
- Sex crimes – rape, statutory rape, solicitation, child pornography, and other offenses. Require highly experienced legal defense.
- White collar crimes – fraud, embezzlement, tax evasion, money laundering, and more. Often complex cases requiring skilled attorneys.
- Violent crimes – murder, manslaughter, assault, gang activity, and other serious charges. Require attorneys highly experienced in trial litigation.
- Probation violations – if you violate probation terms, your lawyer can advocate for alternatives to jail time.
- Expungement – attorneys can guide you through sealing or expunging charges from your record, if eligible.
This list just scratches the surface. An experienced criminal defense lawyer can advise and represent you for any criminal charges.
What Will a Lexington Criminal Lawyer Cost?
Attorney fees vary based on experience, demand, case complexity, and other factors. Some ballpark costs:
- DUI defense – $2,000-$5,000+
- Misdemeanor defense – $1,500-$3,500+
- Felony defense – $5,000-$15,000+
More serious or complex felony charges involving murder, sex crimes, gangs, or large-scale drug trafficking can cost $25,000 and up. White collar cases also often have higher costs.
Some attorneys offer flat fees, while others bill by the hour. Rates range from $100-$500+ per hour. Be sure to understand the fee structure upfront.
Also ask if there are any additional costs, like expert witnesses or investigators. Get fee agreements in writing.
How Can I Pay for a Criminal Defense Lawyer?
If you can’t afford private counsel, you may qualify for a public defender appointed by the court. However, public defenders typically have large caseloads and limited resources. You’re often better off with paid private counsel if possible.
If you don’t have thousands saved up, some options to pay legal fees include:
- Payment plans – Many attorneys allow you to pay in installments over time.
- Borrowing money – Consider borrowing from 401k, home equity line, friends/family, etc.
- Credit cards – Use cards with 0% intro APRs to delay interest.
- Legal defense insurance – Some policies help pay for criminal defense costs.
Don’t let the cost deter you from hiring a lawyer. The consequences of a conviction are usually far more expensive in the long run.
How Can I Get the Charges Dismissed or Reduced?
There are various ways a skilled lawyer may get charges against you dismissed or reduced, such as:
- Challenging improper police procedures – if evidence was obtained illegally, it may be excluded.
- Poking holes in the prosecution’s case – discredit witnesses, challenge DNA/evidence, prove alibi etc.
- Leveraging your clean record – argue the charges are out of character.
- Presenting mitigating circumstances – highlight facts that justify your actions.
- Utilizing diversion programs – for example, complete rehab for drug charges.
- Negotiating plea bargains – prosecutors often offer pleas to avoid trial.
An experienced attorney knows how to employ these tactics to put you in the best position possible. But keep in mind, you need a lawyer who is willing to take your case to trial if needed, not just look for a quick plea deal.
What Are the Best Law Firms for Criminal Defense in Lexington?
Some of the top-rated criminal defense firms in Lexington include:
- Carman Law Office – Founder Dan Carman is a former prosecutor, giving him unique insights. They handle everything from DUI to domestic violence and sex crimes.
- Edward M. Thompson – Well-respected attorney with over 25 years experience fighting drug charges, violent crimes, sex offenses and more.
- Kentucky Defense Law – Aggressive lawyers who take an innovative approach and aren’t afraid of trial. Handle both state and federal charges.
What Should I Do After Getting Arrested or Charged?
If you are under arrest or investigation for a crime, it’s essential to follow these steps:
- Remain silent – Don’t say anything to police without your lawyer present. What you say can be used against you.
- Hire a lawyer immediately – Call a defense attorney as soon as possible after an arrest or charges are filed.
- Follow lawyer’s advice – Your attorney knows how to protect your rights through the legal process.
- Avoid social media – Don’t post anything about your case online before talking to counsel.
- Gather evidence – Write down all details you remember ASAP while fresh.
- Make smart choices – Avoid actions that could impact your case, like talking to witnesses, traveling out of state etc.
Following these steps will help ensure you have the strongest defense possible. The most important thing is contacting an attorney right away after an arrest or charges.
Facing Criminal Charges? Take These Steps Right Now
Being arrested or charged with a crime in Lexington is scary. But you don’t have to navigate the legal system alone. Follow these steps for the best chance of a positive outcome:
- Remain silent and only speak to police through your lawyer.
- Hire an experienced criminal defense attorney right away.
- Follow their advice closely throughout the legal process.
- Avoid actions that could harm your case, like talking to witnesses, posting on social media, or traveling out of state.
- Work closely with your lawyer to build the strongest defense.
An experienced Lexington criminal lawyer can advocate for your rights, defend your freedom, and negotiate the best possible outcome. Don’t take chances – hire the right attorney now.