Best Lansing Criminal Lawyers
The Top Criminal Defense Attorneys in Lansing, Michigan
Finding yourself in need of a criminal defense attorney can be an incredibly stressful and anxious time. You likely have a lot of questions about the legal process, the potential outcomes, and how to find the right lawyer to represent your case. This article provides an overview of some of the top criminal defense attorneys in Lansing, Michigan who have the experience, skills, and track record to provide you with the strongest legal defense.
What Makes a Great Criminal Defense Attorney?
When researching criminal lawyers in the Lansing area, there are several key factors you’ll want to consider to identify the best attorney for your specific charges. Here are some of the most important traits to look for:
- Years of experience – You’ll want a lawyer who has extensive experience specifically handling criminal cases similar to yours in Lansing courts. An experienced attorney will understand all the nuances of the local legal system and prosecutors.
- Track record of success – Look for an attorney who has a proven history of getting charges reduced or dismissed, avoiding jail time, and achieving positive outcomes for clients facing criminal allegations. Success rates and client reviews can indicate their ability to defend your case.
- Knowledge of criminal law – An in-depth understanding of Michigan criminal statutes, case law, sentencing guidelines, and courtroom procedures is essential. This allows an attorney to identify the weaknesses of the prosecution’s case and build the strongest defense.
- Negotiation skills – Since over 90% of criminal cases end in a plea deal, you want an attorney who can negotiate effectively with prosecutors to get charges reduced or dropped.
- Trial experience – If your case does go to trial, your lawyer should have extensive litigation experience in front of Lansing judges and juries. This includes the skills to present evidence, examine witnesses, and deliver persuasive arguments.
- Clear communication – Look for a lawyer who is responsive, explains things in a way you understand, listens to your concerns, and works collaboratively to build the best defense strategy.
Top Criminal Defense Firms in Lansing
There are several criminal defense firms and attorneys in Lansing that check many of the boxes when it comes to the characteristics of a great lawyer. Here are some of the most highly regarded criminal defense attorneys and law firms in the Lansing area:
Grabel & Associates
For over 50 years, Grabel & Associates has provided top-notch criminal defense in Lansing and throughout Michigan. Founding attorney Neil Rockind is widely recognized as one of the top criminal defense lawyers in the state. The firm’s attorneys have centuries of combined experience defending the most complex and serious criminal allegations. Grabel & Associates lawyers have an impressive track record of achieving not guilty verdicts, getting charges reduced or dismissed, and avoiding jail time for clients. They are known for providing aggressive and innovative legal defenses. The firm handles everything from misdemeanors to violent felonies and federal cases.
Lynch Law Group
The Lynch Law Group is a criminal defense firm focusing exclusively on criminal defense cases in state and federal courts. Founding attorney Michael Lynch is a nationally-recognized criminal defense lawyer who previously worked as a state prosecutor. This inside perspective allows him to craft winning defense strategies. Lynch Law Group attorneys have successfully defended clients against many types of charges including homicide, sex crimes, drug offenses, DUI, domestic violence, and white collar crimes. Clients praise the attorneys for their relentless advocacy, attention to detail, and compassion.
Chartier & Nyamfukudza, P.L.C.
Chartier & Nyamfukudza works solely on criminal defense cases in Lansing and across Michigan. The firm boasts some of the state’s top-rated DUI defense attorneys along with lawyers highly skilled in defending drug crimes, sex offenses, juvenile crimes, federal charges, and other complex criminal cases. Founding partners Mary Chartier and Takura Nyamfukudza are both named among the top 100 criminal defense lawyers in the nation. They are known for their meticulous trial preparation, aggressive motions practice, and success at getting charges dismissed prior to trial. The firm provides strong advocacy for clients facing misdemeanors or life-altering felonies.
The Law Offices of Jeffrey Lance Abood
Jeffrey Lance Abood is an experienced criminal defense lawyer in Lansing who handles cases across Michigan. He is a former county assistant prosecutor so he understands how prosecutors build cases and can anticipate their strategies. Abood is a member of the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers and National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. He represents clients facing all types of criminal accusations including homicide, sex crimes, assault, drug charges, DUI, white collar crimes, and federal charges. Abood is praised for his communication skills, legal knowledge, and commitment to the best possible outcome for clients.
Nolan Law Group
The Nolan Law Group exclusively handles criminal defense cases in Lansing and surrounding areas. The firm’s attorneys have over 50 years of combined criminal law experience. Founding attorney Patrick O’Neill Nolan is renowned locally for his skillful courtroom advocacy and success defending complex criminal allegations. The lawyers at Nolan Law Group have extensive experience defending DUI, drug crimes, juvenile offenses, domestic violence, sex crimes, homicide, assault, and weapons charges. Clients commend the firm’s attorneys for instilling confidence, applying aggressive defense strategies, and obtaining very favorable plea bargains in complex criminal cases. Clients praise the Nolan Law Group attorneys for their strong advocacy, attention to detail, and commitment to achieving the best possible outcome for each client.
Kronzek & Cronkright, PLLC
The criminal defense attorneys at Kronzek & Cronkright have over 85 years of combined experience defending clients in Lansing and across Michigan. Founding partners Michael Cronkright and Douglas Kronzek are both recognized as “Super Lawyers.” They handle everything from misdemeanors to serious violent felonies in both state and federal courts. The firm’s attorneys are known for their meticulous trial preparation, zealous courtroom advocacy, and success at getting charges reduced or dismissed pre-trial. They also have extensive experience guiding clients through the appeals process. Clients commend them for their responsiveness, legal knowledge, and compassion.
Sinas Dramis Law Firm
The Sinas Dramis Law Firm is a personal injury firm that also has a skilled criminal defense team. Founding partner George Sinas is a past president of the Michigan Association for Justice. He leads a team of aggressive lawyers who handle all types of criminal cases including homicide, sex crimes, drug offenses, white collar crimes, assault, DUI, weapons charges, and more. Attorneys at Sinas Dramis Law have a track record of achieving not guilty verdicts, getting charges dropped, and securing favorable plea bargains for clients.
The Law Offices of Lisa L. Dwyer
Attorney Lisa L. Dwyer is an experienced criminal defense lawyer who represents clients facing misdemeanor and felony charges in Lansing area courts. She is a former Ingham County assistant prosecuting attorney so she understands prosecutors’ tactics. Dwyer handles cases involving drug crimes, assault, DUI, sex offenses, juvenile crimes, federal charges, and other allegations. She is known for thoroughly analyzing the prosecution’s case to find weaknesses. Dwyer is praised for her communication skills and for aggressively defending clients’ rights.
How to Choose the Best Criminal Defense Attorney for Your Case
If you are facing criminal charges, it’s important to carefully vet any attorney you are considering hiring to build the strongest possible defense. Here are some tips on choosing the best criminal defense lawyer for your specific case:
- Look for a lawyer with extensive experience handling your exact type of criminal charges
- Research their track record of getting charges dismissed and avoiding convictions
- Ask about their negotiation skills and trial experience
- Make sure they have strong knowledge of applicable criminal statutes and sentencing
- Consider only attorneys who are responsive, listen well, and make you feel comfortable
- Look for compassion along with aggressive advocacy for clients
- Ask trusted contacts for referrals to criminal lawyers with proven results
- Interview multiple attorneys before deciding who to hire
- Be proactive and don’t wait – the earlier you engage a lawyer the better
Being charged with a crime in Lansing can be daunting. But hiring one of the skilled criminal defense attorneys on this list can help ensure you get the best possible outcome. The lawyer you choose will make all the difference in the resolution of your case.