Best Hillsboro Criminal Lawyers
The Best Criminal Defense Lawyers in Hillsboro, Oregon
If you or a loved one have been charged with a crime in Hillsboro, Oregon, having an experienced criminal defense lawyer on your side can make all the difference. Criminal charges can carry steep fines, probation requirements, and even jail time, so you’ll want to make sure you have strong legal representation to protect your rights.
There are many skilled criminal defense attorneys practicing in the Hillsboro area. Here are some of the top-rated and most respected lawyers to consider if you’re facing criminal charges like DUI, drug crimes, domestic violence, theft, or assault.
John E. Schlosser
John E. Schlosser is a highly experienced trial lawyer who has been practicing criminal defense in Oregon for over 30 years. He has successfully defended clients against a wide range of charges including homicide, sex crimes, domestic violence, drug offenses, and DUIs.
Schlosser is known for his meticulous trial preparation and ability to identify weaknesses in the prosecution’s case. He conducts thorough investigations, consults with expert witnesses, and aggressively advocates for his clients in court.
One satisfied client said of Schlosser, “He kept me out of jail and was able to get my charges reduced. I would absolutely recommend him to anyone in need of a criminal defense lawyer.”
Matthew McHenry is a former prosecutor turned criminal defense lawyer who has extensive experience on both sides of criminal law. As a former district attorney, he has insight into the prosecution’s strategies which enables him to build strong defense cases for his clients charged with offenses like DUIs, drug crimes, domestic violence, and sex crimes.
McHenry takes time to explain the legal process to clients in simple terms they can understand. His calm and confident demeanor helps put clients at ease during an extremely stressful time. One client said, “Matthew walked me through everything and really fought for me in court. I ended up with a much better outcome than I ever expected.”
Jeffrey A. Turnoy
Jeffrey A. Turnoy is a seasoned trial attorney who represents clients in all types of criminal matters including misdemeanors, felonies, and driving offenses. He is known for his skill at negotiating with prosecutors to have charges reduced or dismissed.
Turnoy is very familiar with police procedures related to arrests, sobriety tests, and searches. He looks closely for any violations of a client’s rights that he can use to weaken the prosecution’s case. Former clients praise Turnoy for his responsiveness and for making them feel like more than just a case number.
David T. McDonald
For over two decades, attorney David T. McDonald has defended people accused of crimes ranging from simple misdemeanors to serious violent felonies. He takes an aggressive yet strategic approach, thoroughly analyzing each case to craft a defense that addresses both the legal and human elements involved.
McDonald has successfully defended many high-profile cases other attorneys turned down. He isn’t afraid to take cases to trial when a satisfactory plea deal can’t be reached. McDonald’s experience and tenacity has resulted in many not guilty verdicts over the years.
Richard Cohen is a skilled criminal defense lawyer with extensive experience representing clients in DUI, drug crime, theft, domestic violence, and sex offense cases. He is known for his meticulous trial preparation and creative legal strategies.
Cohen excels at finding weaknesses in the prosecution’s case and presenting persuasive arguments to judges and juries. He also has a reputation for successfully negotiating plea bargains that result in reduced or dismissed charges. Clients appreciate his straight-talking, compassionate approach.
Harris Velázquez Gibbens
The criminal defense firm of Harris Velázquez Gibbens provides aggressive representation for clients facing misdemeanor and felony charges. Their team of attorneys have over 50 years of combined experience defending the accused in cases involving DUIs, drug crimes, assault, domestic violence, and other offenses.
The lawyers at Harris Velázquez Gibbens thoroughly investigate each case, consulting with experts when needed, to build the strongest defense. They also work diligently to negotiate with prosecutors for charge reductions or dismissals when appropriate. The firm is known for its commitment to personalized attention and clear communication with each client.
How to Choose the Right Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you are facing criminal charges, it’s important to carefully choose the right lawyer to defend you. Here are some tips:
- Look for extensive experience specifically handling your type of criminal case. An attorney who mainly does real estate law won’t have the right skills.
- Consider lawyers with experience as both prosecutors and defense attorneys. This gives them insights from both perspectives.
- Look for stellar client reviews describing positive experiences. Beware of reviews that seem overly polished or fake.
- Meet with lawyers for a free consultation to evaluate their communication skills and compatibility with you.
- Ask about their negotiation skills and trial experience. Both are important.
- Consider boutique criminal defense firms. Their focus is entirely on criminal law rather than many practice areas.
- Discuss legal fees upfront so you aren’t surprised later. Fees vary greatly.
By investing time to pick the best criminal defense lawyer for your needs, you can maximize your chances of the best possible case outcome.
The Criminal Case Process in Hillsboro
If you’ve been arrested and charged with a crime in Hillsboro, Oregon, it’s important to understand the basic process your criminal case will go through:
Arrest: Police can arrest you if they have probable cause to believe you committed a crime. They will take you into custody, photograph and fingerprint you, and transport you to jail.
Booking: When you arrive at jail, officers record your name, biographical information, charges against you, and outstanding warrants. You can make phone calls and will be searched.
Bail: At your arraignment, the judge will decide the bail amount that allows you to be released until trial. You or your lawyer can argue for lower bail.
Arraignment: This first court appearance is when formal charges are presented. You will enter an initial plea of guilty, not guilty or no contest.
Preliminary Hearings: These hearings allow the judge to determine if there is enough evidence to proceed to trial. Witnesses may testify.
Plea Bargaining: Your lawyer will negotiate with the prosecutor to try to get charges reduced or dismissed in exchange for a guilty plea.
Trial: If no plea bargain is reached, your case will go to trial. A jury will be selected to decide your guilt or innocence.
Sentencing: If you are convicted, the judge will impose sentencing including fines, probation terms, classes, community service, or jail time.Having an experienced criminal defense lawyer to guide you through this complex process is absolutely essential to protect your rights every step of the way.
Common Criminal Charges in Hillsboro
Some of the most common criminal offenses people face charges for in Hillsboro include:
- DUI – Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. It carries penalties like license suspension, fines, alcohol education, and possible jail time.
- Domestic Violence – Violence against a spouse, partner, or family member. Penalties get more severe for repeat offenses.
- Drug Crimes – Charges like possession, distribution, manufacturing, or trafficking illegal drugs. Penalties vary by the type and quantity of drugs.
- Theft – Stealing someone else’s property. Retail theft, robbery, and burglary are common forms.
- Assault – Threatening injury or harm to someone. Charges range from misdemeanors to serious felonies.
- Sex Crimes – Offenses like rape, child molestation, indecent exposure, and distributing child pornography.
- Weapons Offenses – It’s illegal to possess brass knuckles, switchblades, and firearms like guns and tasers.
Having an attorney experienced with these specific types of crimes is crucial, as the laws are complex. An experienced lawyer knows how to build the strongest defense.
The Benefits of Hiring a Criminal Defense Lawyer
Here are some of the top benefits of hiring a criminal defense lawyer rather than trying to represent yourself:
- They have extensive knowledge of criminal law and procedure which the average person lacks.
- They have experience developing strategies and crafting defenses that laypeople wouldn’t think of.
- They can effectively negotiate plea bargains with prosecutors to get charges reduced or dismissed.
- They know how to gather exculpatory evidence and testimony you wouldn’t have access to.
- They have relationships with judges and prosecutors that enable better outcomes.
- They can identify illegal actions or other weaknesses in the prosecution’s case.
- They can argue to get your bail amount lowered so you can get out of jail pre-trial.
- They know all the possible sentencing options and will fight to minimize penalties.
- They can immediately intervene if your rights are violated during arrest or questioning.
- They have the trial skills and experience to mount an aggressive defense if needed.
Without a quality criminal defense lawyer, you are at a huge disadvantage, so hiring one should always be your first priority.
Questions to Ask During a Consultation
When meeting with criminal defense lawyers for a free initial consultation, you’ll want to ask questions to find the best attorney for your needs:
- How much experience do you have handling my specific type of criminal case?
- What will your investigative process look like for my defense?
- Are you willing to take my case to trial if a satisfactory plea deal can’t be negotiated?
- How quickly do you return calls and emails from clients?
- Will you or an associate handle my case or will responsibility be passed around?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of my case in your assessment?
- Realistically, what are the best and worst case scenarios for resolving my criminal charge?
- What are the steps you will take to try to get my charges reduced or dismissed?
- Do you foresee any immigration or other collateral consequences I should be aware of?
- How do you keep clients involved and informed throughout the legal process?
Choose a criminal defense lawyer who listens attentively, answers all your questions, and seems highly knowledgeable and confident about defending you.
Facing criminal charges is scary. Having the right lawyer by your side can help you stay calm and focused on getting the best possible outcome. Be sure to use this guide to find the most qualified criminal defense attorney to represent you in Hillsboro.