Best Grand Rapids Criminal Lawyers
Best Grand Rapids Criminal Defense Lawyers
If you or a loved one have been charged with a crime in Grand Rapids, Michigan, having an experienced criminal defense lawyer on your side can make all the difference. Criminal charges carry serious penalties like jail time, fines, probation and can impact your life for years to come. The stakes are high, so you need an aggressive lawyer fighting for you. But with so many options, how do you choose the best criminal defense lawyer in Grand Rapids for your case?
I did the research for you and found the top-rated Grand Rapids criminal attorneys based on experience, track record, client reviews and more. I’ll walk through the factors to look for so you can make an informed decision. I’ll also highlight the specific strengths of the leading Grand Rapids criminal lawyers and law firms. Let’s dive in!
What to Look for in a Grand Rapids Criminal Defense Lawyer
When researching criminal defense lawyers in Grand Rapids, there are a few key factors to consider:
- Experience handling your specific criminal charges – You want a lawyer with a proven track record dealing with charges like yours. Look for ones who regularly handle cases like DUI, theft, assault, etc.
- Courtroom experience – Trial experience is invaluable, so prioritize lawyers who have argued cases in court often. This prepares them to mount the strongest defense.
- Resources & expertise – Larger law firms have more attorneys and resources to devote to your case. This gives you the best chance of a positive outcome.
- Client reviews – Read reviews to get a sense of the lawyer’s responsiveness, communication style and track record.
- Personality fit – You’ll be working closely together, so make sure your personalities mesh well.
I factored in all these elements when researching the top criminal defense firms and lawyers in Grand Rapids.
Top 5 Grand Rapids Criminal Defense Lawyers & Law Firms
1. Lykins Law
Attorney Jerry Lykins is a former county prosecutor who now runs a criminal defense firm helping clients fight DUI, theft, assault and drug charges. He has over 25 years of courtroom experience and a strong track record getting charges reduced or dismissed. Clients praise his aggressive legal strategies and compassionate approach.
This boutique firm provides customized defense strategies for clients facing misdemeanors and felonies. The attorneys thoroughly investigate the facts and devise targeted trial approaches. Founding partner Raoul Graham previously worked for the Department of Justice. They are known for avoiding or minimizing jail time.
James Champion is an experienced trial lawyer who represents clients accused of violent crimes like murder, assault and sex offenses. He is a former public defender familiar with local courts. Champion works relentlessly to get charges dismissed pre-trial. If a trial is necessary, he mounts an aggressive defense.
Frank Stanley heads a team providing tenacious criminal defense in Grand Rapids for over 35 years. Their experience includes defending complex white collar crimes and federal charges. Clients compliment the firm’s responsiveness and compassion. They aim to avoid convictions through vigorous pre-trial motions.
Ryan Maesen is a former county prosecutor now representing individuals and businesses accused of crimes. He handles cases ranging from drunk driving to internet crimes. Maesen develops creative legal strategies tailored to the unique facts of each case. He has a track record of achieving charge dismissals and acquittals.