Best Frisco Criminal Lawyers
Frisco Criminal Lawyers – Your Guide to Finding the Best Defense Attorney
Getting arrested or charged with a crime in Frisco can be a scary and overwhelming experience. But having the right criminal defense lawyer on your side can make all the difference.
In this article, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know about finding the best criminal lawyer in Frisco for your specific case. We’ll talk about:
- What criminal lawyers do
- Questions to ask when hiring a lawyer
- How lawyers charge for services
- Finding the right lawyer for your case
- And lots more!
We know dealing with the law is confusing (we don’t get it either, lol). But our goal here is to make the process of finding a great criminal defense attorney as simple as possible.
What Do Criminal Defense Lawyers Do?
When you’re facing criminal charges, a criminal defense lawyer is the person you want in your corner. Their job is to protect your rights and build the strongest possible defense so you get the best possible outcome.
Some key things great criminal lawyers do for their clients:
- Investigate the charges and look for holes in the prosecutor’s case
- Negotiate with the prosecutor for reduced charges or sentencing
- File motions to get evidence thrown out if it was obtained illegally
- Present evidence and question witnesses in your defense
- Work out plea bargains if those make sense for your situation
- Take your case to trial if necessary
The right lawyer will thoroughly examine the details of your case and build a defense to match. Their goal is to get your charges reduced or dismissed completely if possible.
Questions to Ask When Hiring a Criminal Lawyer in Frisco
Not all lawyers are created equal, so you want to do your research to find the best attorney for your specific criminal case. Here are some key questions to ask during initial consultations:
- How much experience do you have with this type of case? Look for a lawyer who regularly deals with charges similar to yours.
- What will your involvement be vs your staff? Make sure the lawyer you hire will be actively working on your case and you won’t just be handed off to less experienced associates.
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of my case? A good lawyer will give you an honest assessment upfront.
- What are possible outcomes and strategies? Make sure you understand all the options on the table.
- What will the process look like if we go to trial? It’s good to understand what a trial would entail.
Don’t be shy about asking lots of questions. This is your future on the line, after all. A great lawyer will take the time needed to answer all your questions and put your mind at ease throughout the process.
How Much Do Frisco Criminal Lawyers Charge?
When researching options for legal representation in Frisco, cost is naturally an important factor. Here are the main fee structures to be aware of:
- Hourly Rate: Most lawyers charge an hourly fee that ranges from $200-$500+ per hour depending on experience level and demand.
- Flat Fee: Some lawyers may charge a flat fee for handling an entire case start to finish. This provides cost certainty but may not be common with serious criminal matters.
- Contingency Fee: If money is tight, you may find lawyers willing to take cases in exchange for a percentage of the final settlement or judgement. This isn’t typical for criminal cases though.
Be sure to ask about payment plans and options if the lawyer’s fees are beyond your budget. Many will work with clients to set up affordable installment plans.
And don’t immediately assume the most expensive lawyer is the best choice. There are great attorneys in Frisco at very reasonable rates.
Finding the Right Criminal Lawyer for Your Case
Every criminal case is unique, so it’s important to find a lawyer who has specific experience with defending cases similar to yours. Here are some factors to keep in mind:
- For a DUI charge, look for a lawyer with extensive DUI defense experience. They will understand how to examine blood tests, field sobriety tests, and other evidence to build the strongest drunk driving defense.
- If facing drug possession charges, find a lawyer experienced with these cases. For example, if the drugs were found during a questionable search, the right lawyer can get that evidence suppressed.
- Violent crime charges call for a lawyer who isn’t afraid to take cases to trial and who has experience getting charges reduced for crimes like assault, domestic violence, etc.
And don’t underestimate the value of a free consultation. Most criminal defense lawyers offer this. It’s the perfect opportunity to get a feel for whether a lawyer is the right fit for you and your case.
What to Expect When Working with a Criminal Lawyer
If you’ve never worked with a criminal lawyer before, you may be wondering what the process looks like. While every case is different, here’s generally what you can expect:
- After you hire a lawyer, they will request police reports, evidence, and other information about your case from the prosecutor.
- Your lawyer will schedule a time for you to sit down and go over the details of the case. Be ready to discuss honestly so they can build the best defense.
- The lawyer will file motions, request hearings, and take other steps to advocate for your interests in court.
- They will keep you updated on any plea bargain offers from the prosecution and discuss whether accepting a deal makes sense.
- If a trial is needed, your lawyer will handle jury selection, give an opening statement, question witnesses, and deliver a closing argument.
- In less serious cases that don’t go to trial, your lawyer will negotiate with the prosecution on your behalf to get charges reduced or dismissed.
Having an advocate who knows the system and will fight for you every step of the way makes a huge difference. The right lawyer can get charges dropped or reduced and help you avoid jail time and other serious consequences.
Finding the Best Criminal Defense Lawyer in Frisco for Your Case
We hope this overview has helped you understand more about what criminal lawyers do and how to find the right one for your specific case. If you or a loved one are facing criminal charges in the Frisco area, don’t go it alone.
With the stakes so high, having an experienced attorney in your corner could make all the difference. Take the time to research lawyers, ask lots of questions, and find someone you trust and feel comfortable with.
The Frisco criminal defense lawyers at Casey Davis Law and Philip D. Ray Law come highly recommended and offer free case evaluations. Reach out to them to discuss your situation and see if they may be a good fit to represent you.
Don’t leave your future up to chance. The right lawyer can fight to get charges reduced or dismissed so you can move on with your life.