Best Elgin Criminal Lawyers
Finding the Best Criminal Defense Lawyers in Elgin, IL
If you or a loved one is facing criminal charges in Elgin, having an experienced criminal defense attorney on your side can make all the difference. With so many options to choose from, how do you find the best criminal lawyer to handle your case? In this article, we’ll go over some of Elgin’s top-rated criminal defense attorneys and law firms to consider if you’re searching for legal representation.
Factors to Look For
When researching criminal lawyers in the Elgin area, there are a few key factors you’ll want to keep in mind:
- Experience – Look for an attorney with extensive experience handling criminal cases similar to yours. An experienced lawyer will understand the complexities of the legal system and have developed strategies over many years of practice.
- Track Record – Check out the lawyer’s case results and success stories. An attorney with a proven track record of getting charges reduced or dismissed has the skills to potentially achieve a favorable outcome for you as well.
- Reputation – Read online reviews and talk to people in the community. A lawyer with a solid reputation for providing aggressive and effective representation is likely well-respected by prosecutors and judges.
- Resources – Make sure the attorney has the time and resources to dedicate to your case. A lawyer with a team of investigators, legal assistants and connections with experts can build the strongest defense.
- Communication – You want an attorney who will listen to you, clearly explain your options and keep you updated every step of the way. Look for a lawyer who is responsive and makes you feel comfortable and confident.
Top Criminal Defense Firms
Here are some of the most prominent criminal defense law firms in the Elgin area to consider:
Cohen Donahue & Morales
With over 25 years of experience, the attorneys at Cohen Donahue & Morales have an outstanding reputation in Kane County. They handle a wide range of criminal charges including DUI, drug crimes, sex offenses, domestic violence, theft and more. The firm has received perfect 10.0 ratings on Avvo for factors like experience, industry recognition and professional conduct.
Salvi & Maher
Salvi & Maher is a highly respected firm focusing exclusively on criminal defense and civil rights litigation. Their attorneys have tried over 200 jury trials with an impressive success rate. They are known for thoroughly investigating cases, aggressively defending clients in court and achieving many not guilty verdicts over the years.
The Law Offices of Christopher W. Bossier
At The Law Offices of Christopher W. Bossier, clients benefit from the skill and determination of an experienced former Kane County prosecutor. Christopher W. Bossier has over 20 years of experience handling complex criminal cases. He is a member of the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 and has been named a Super Lawyer every year since 2005.
Top Individual Criminal Defense Lawyers
In addition to firms, here are some of the most highly-rated individual criminal defense attorneys in Elgin to consider:
With over 140 jury trials under his belt, Adam Sheppard is known as an aggressive litigator who gets results. He is a member of the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 and has received the Client Distinction Award from Martindale-Hubbell. Sheppard represents clients facing charges ranging from DUI to murder.
Stephen Richards is a former public defender who now runs a private practice dedicated to defending the accused. He has successfully defended clients against serious felony charges and received numerous awards for his criminal defense work. Richards is also active in the community, serving on the board of a youth organization.
Michael Leonard is a seasoned trial attorney with over 25 years of criminal law experience. The majority of his cases involve defending individuals accused of complex felonies and federal crimes. Leonard, who is AV Preeminent peer review rated by Martindale-Hubbell, has successfully obtained many acquittals and dismissals for his clients over the years.
Richard Blass is a highly accomplished defense lawyer with extensive experience handling high-profile cases. He has successfully defended clients against murder charges, drug trafficking, sex crimes, DUI manslaughter and other serious felonies. Blass frequently lectures on criminal defense strategies and has received awards from the National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys.
With over 40 years in practice, Stephen Komie brings deep knowledge and trial skills to every case. He has won over 150 acquittals in jury trials for clients facing major felonies. Komie is known for his meticulous trial preparation, skilled cross-examination of witnesses and ability to bond with juries.
Finding the right criminal defense lawyer for your case can seem daunting, but taking the time to do research, ask questions and understand your options will help you make the best decision. The skilled criminal defense attorneys highlighted above are among the top legal advocates in the Elgin area and great options to consider as you build your defense team.