Los Angeles Theft Crimes Lawyer
Los Angeles Theft Crimes Lawyer
If you’ve been accused of theft or larceny in Los Angeles, you need an experienced criminal defense attorney on your side. Theft charges can lead to serious penalties like jail time, fines, probation and a criminal record. Don’t go it alone against the power of the state – get legal help fast.
In this article, we’ll break down everything you need to know about theft crimes and defense lawyers in LA. We’ll cover:
- Types of theft charges in California
- Penalties for petty theft, grand theft, shoplifting
- How a lawyer can defend you
- Finding the best attorney for your case
Theft Charges in California
California divides theft into two main categories – petty theft and grand theft. Petty theft is when you steal property worth $950 or less. Grand theft applies when you take something worth more than $950. Within these categories, common specific charges include:
- Petty Theft – Misdemeanor, max 6 months jail
- Shoplifting – Misdemeanor, max 6 months jail
- Grand Theft – Felony, max 3 years prison
- Grand Theft Auto – Felony, max 3 years prison
Prosecutors also look at your criminal history to determine which theft charges to file. Someone with a record of theft, burglary or robbery will face harsher penalties than a first-time offender.
Penalties for Theft in Los Angeles
A theft conviction can lead to jail or prison time, probation, fines and a permanent criminal record. Penalties depend on the type of theft, value of property stolen and your criminal history. Possible sentences include:
- Petty Theft – Up to 6 months in county jail and/or a fine up to $1,000
- Shoplifting – Up to 6 months in jail and/or a fine up to $1,000
- Grand Theft – 16 months, 2 years or 3 years in state prison and a fine up to $10,000
- Grand Theft Auto – Up to 3 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000
In addition to incarceration, those convicted will likely get probation and have a theft crime on their record. This can hurt job, housing and other prospects for years to come. Even expunging a theft conviction later requires time and money.
Defenses Against Theft Charges
Don’t just plead guilty and accept the consequences. An experienced Los Angeles theft crimes lawyer can often get charges reduced or dismissed. Common defenses include:
- You had permission – If the property owner consented, it’s not theft
- Mistake – You took something by accident or misunderstanding
- False accusations – The alleged victim is lying about the theft
- Entrapment – Law enforcement induced you to commit the crime
An attorney can also challenge improper police procedures, get evidence thrown out if it was obtained illegally and negotiate with the prosecutor for lesser charges like trespassing instead of theft. Don’t wait to protect your rights.
Finding a Los Angeles Theft Crimes Lawyer
Choosing the right lawyer is crucial to build the strongest defense to theft allegations. Look for an attorney who:
- Focuses specifically on theft and larceny cases
- Has experience defending theft charges in LA courts
- Can negotiate effectively with prosecutors
- Is respected by judges and other local attorneys
- Makes you feel comfortable and well-represented
A dedicated LA theft crimes lawyer will know how local prosecutors and judges handle these cases. They’ll craft the defense strategy most likely to lead to a dismissal, acquittal or leniency at sentencing.
Get a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one is facing petty theft, grand theft or other theft accusations in LA, time is of the essence. Call a theft crimes attorney today for a free case evaluation. An experienced lawyer can protect your rights, avoid a conviction and get the best possible outcome. Don’t leave your future to chance – let a theft defense expert fight for you.