Best Aurora Criminal Lawyers
Aurora Criminal Lawyers – Your Best Defense
Finding yourself in need of a criminal defense lawyer can be scary. You’re likely facing serious charges and potential consequences that could change your life forever. But having an experienced attorney on your side can make all the difference. This article will give you an overview of working with criminal lawyers in Aurora and how they can help build the strongest case for you.
Understanding Aurora Criminal Law
The first thing to know is that laws vary by state and jurisdiction. Aurora follows Colorado state law, but also has its own local ordinances. Your charges will depend on things like:
- The type of offense – misdemeanor or felony
- Where the alleged crime occurred
- Your criminal history
Common charges in Aurora include DUIs, drug possession, theft, domestic violence, and assault. The district attorney has to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. An attorney knows how to pick apart the prosecution’s case and challenge questionable evidence.
Finding the Right Criminal Defense Lawyer
There are many criminal lawyers to choose from in the Aurora area. So how do you pick the best one? Here are key tips:
- Check experience – You want someone who regularly handles your type of criminal charges. Don’t be afraid to ask about their track record with similar cases.
- Consider resources – Does the attorney have connections to investigators and experts that can strengthen your defense? A robust team is a major asset.
- Personality matters – You’ll be working closely together, so make sure you feel comfortable with their style. The right lawyer-client relationship can make a big difference.
- Find affordable options – Rates vary widely, so look for lawyers with payment plans or who offer free consultations. Don’t immediately rule someone out for cost reasons – speak to them first.
Ask family and friends for recommendations. Search online reviews too, but take them with a grain of salt. Meet with a few lawyers before deciding.
How a Criminal Lawyer Can Defend You
Once you’ve hired a criminal defense attorney, they can start building a strong case in your favor. This includes steps like:
- Investigating the charges – Your lawyer will dig into what exactly you’re being accused of and the evidence behind it. They may find holes in the prosecution’s case.
- Interviewing witnesses – Witness testimony can make or break a case. Your attorney will question anyone with information that could weaken the charges against you.
- Filing motions – There are various legal motions that can get evidence thrown out or lead to charges being lowered or dismissed. An experienced lawyer knows which motions to file for the best outcome.
- Plea bargaining – Many cases end with plea deals rather than going to trial. Your lawyer can negotiate with the prosecutor for a fair settlement.
- Trial defense – If your case does go to trial, your attorney’s courtroom skills will be crucial. They’ll argue to the jury that the prosecution failed to prove guilt beyond doubt.
Having an assertive lawyer fighting for you makes all the difference. Don’t wait to seek help if you’re facing criminal charges.
Common Defenses in Aurora Cases
There are a variety of defenses that your lawyer may use depending on the details of your case. Some of the most common include:
- Invalid or lack of Miranda rights – If police didn’t properly read you your rights upon arrest, your lawyer can get incriminating statements thrown out.
- Illegal search and seizure – If police didn’t have probable cause for a search, any evidence found may be inadmissible.
- Self-defense – In assault or murder charges, self-defense is a common and often valid defense if you acted to protect yourself from harm.
- Intoxication – You can’t be found guilty if you were too intoxicated to knowingly commit a crime. This is used often in DUI and drug possession cases.
- Alibi – With proof you were elsewhere at the time of the crime, you have a solid defense against many charges.
- Mistaken identity – Eyewitness misidentification is common. Your lawyer can show you weren’t correctly identified.
- Entrapment – If police coerced you into committing a crime you otherwise wouldn’t have, this may invalidate the charges.
A skilled attorney knows how to leverage these defenses to weaken or beat your criminal charges.
Aurora DUI Lawyers
DUI charges are some of the most common that Aurora criminal defense lawyers take on. DUIs come with serious penalties like jail time, fines, and license suspension. Having an attorney can help minimize the consequences.For example, they may dispute the validity of field sobriety or breathalyzer tests. These tests have margins of error and don’t always prove impairment. A lawyer can also negotiate with the DA for a “wet reckless” plea which carries less severe penalties than a DUI.Having a previous DUI on your record makes the stakes even higher. Enhanced penalties for repeat DUIs can include up to 1 year in jail. But a lawyer may be able to get prior DUIs dismissed to avoid this. Don’t take chances – consult an experienced DUI attorney right away if charged.
Aurora Drug Crime Lawyers
Like DUIs, drug-related charges are also very common in Aurora. Possession of marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamines, and prescription drugs all potentially mean felony charges. The penalties depend on the amount and type of drug involved.A drug crimes lawyer will first review if the search and seizure that uncovered the drugs was legal. If not, the evidence may get thrown out. They can also argue you didn’t knowingly possess the drugs. Or they may get charges reduced by proving the drugs were for personal use rather than dealing.For drug trafficking and distribution charges, the defense is much more difficult. These cases rely heavily on police informants, who often have incentives to lie. An attorney can try to discredit the informant testimony. Overall, fighting drug charges requires an aggressive lawyer with experience challenging these complex cases.
Domestic Violence Lawyers
Domestic violence charges have serious social and legal consequences. In addition to potential jail time, a conviction will impact child custody, gun ownership, and more. Aurora has strict laws against violence of any kind between spouses, partners, and family members.Many domestic violence charges arise from disputes that got out of control. In the heat of the moment, things are said or done that normally wouldn’t occur. A domestic violence lawyer can argue that your actions don’t represent the real nature of the relationship.They may also dispute who was the true aggressor. Oftentimes both parties bear some responsibility, but only one ends up facing charges. Other defenses include falsely reported incidents, lack of injury, and self-defense.While the social stigma surrounding domestic violence is severe, experienced lawyers know how to build the strongest case possible for defendants. Having compassionate yet aggressive representation is crucial when family relationships are on the line.
Finding an Affordable Aurora Criminal Lawyer
The cost of a criminal defense lawyer gives many people pause. But there are affordable options even if you have limited financial means. Don’t let the fear of legal fees stop you from seeking the strong legal defense you need.Many lawyers offer free consultations so you can understand your options at no cost. They may suggest legal aid services that provide representation to low-income defendants. If you hire a private lawyer, ask if they offer payment plans or will reduce fees for financial hardship.You can also look for lawyers willing to be paid only if they win your case, avoiding upfront costs. Just be sure to get the payment agreement in writing. Remember that the cost of not having a lawyer could be your freedom. Find ways to make competent legal help work within your budget.
The Sooner You Get an Attorney, the Better
If you’re charged with a crime in Aurora, the most important thing you can do is hire a criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible. The earlier in the process you engage an attorney, the more effectively they can start building your case. Don’t wait!Try not to say anything to authorities without your lawyer present. Cooperate politely, but clearly invoke your right to have counsel. Inconsistencies in your early statements can come back to haunt you. Your lawyer can handle communication from the start.They can also get to work right away gathering evidence and statements from witnesses. These may fade or change over time. And your lawyer needs to review charges and evidence to build the right defense strategy.The legal process moves quickly, so it’s crucial to have counsel advising you each step of the way. Don’t go it alone when your future is on the line. The top criminal lawyers in Aurora are ready to help – you just have to make that first call.
Finding the Best Outcome
Facing criminal charges in Aurora can be one of the most frightening experiences in someone’s life. The prospect of jail, fines, and a criminal record is enough to overwhelm anyone. But with an experienced, compassionate attorney guiding you, it doesn’t have to go as badly as you fear.Take the time to understand your legal options. Do research to find lawyers with proven records of success in cases like yours. Know that quality legal representation may be more affordable than you think. Then partner with a lawyer you trust to build the strongest case possible. It could make all the difference in the outcome.With the right legal strategy and advocacy, many charges can be reduced or even dismissed. Certainly there are never any guarantees, but you want the best possible odds. Don’t leave your fate to chance. Empower yourself with knowledge and seek help from those who know the Aurora criminal justice system inside and out. You deserve the best defense possible.