24/7 call for a free consultation 212-300-5196




When you’re facing a federal issue, you need an attorney whose going to be available 24/7 to help you get the results and outcome you need. The value of working with the Spodek Law Group is that we treat each and every client like a member of our family.

Using 28 USC § 2255 Motions to Vacate Federal Convictions

Using 28 USC § 2255 Motions to Vacate Federal Convictions

So you got convicted of a federal crime and you want to get that conviction overturned. One way to do that is to file a motion under 28 USC § 2255 to vacate the conviction. This article will walk you through the basics of what a § 2255 motion is, when you can file one, and how to put together a strong motion.

What is a 28 USC § 2255 Motion?

A motion under § 2255 allows federal prisoners to challenge their conviction or sentence if it was imposed illegally or in violation of the Constitution. It’s basically a way to get back in front of the judge who handled your criminal case and argue that you should be released because your rights were violated.Section 2255 is like a federal version of habeas corpus, which we talk about here. It lets you go directly to the federal court that handled your case instead of starting from scratch in district court.These motions are filed directly with the sentencing court, not with the court of appeals. The goal is to vacate, set aside, or correct the sentence you’re serving. If the court grants your 2255 motion, your conviction or sentence will be tossed out and you’ll either be released or get a new trial.

When Can You File a § 2255 Motion?

You can’t just file a 2255 motion anytime you want. There are limits on when and how often you can use this process to challenge your conviction.

After Direct Appeal

First, you usually can’t file a 2255 motion until after you’ve gone through your direct appeal. The motion is not a substitute for a direct appeal. It’s an extraordinary remedy that comes into play after you’ve exhausted your other options.So if you pled guilty and didn’t file an appeal, or if you went through your direct appeal and lost, then you can start thinking about a § 2255 motion.

Within One Year of Conviction

Second, you need to file your 2255 motion within one year of the date your conviction became final. This is known as the statute of limitations.For example, if you lost your direct appeal on January 1, 2020, you’d have until January 1, 2021 to file your 2255 motion. This deadline can be extended or waived (“tolled”) in certain circumstances, which we’ll get to in a minute.

Only One Motion Unless Exception Applies

Finally, you are limited to one § 2255 motion in most cases. The law says you need permission from the court of appeals before filing a “second or successive” motion. So you need to include all possible arguments in your first motion.There are two exceptions where you can file a second 2255 motion:

  1. If there is new evidence that you’re actually innocent of the crime.
  2. If there is a new rule of constitutional law made retroactive by the Supreme Court that affects your case.

Outside of these two situations, you get only one bite at the 2255 apple so make it count!

Christine Twomey
Christine Twomey
Just had my Divorce case settled 2 months ago after having a horrible experience with another firm. I couldn’t be happier with Claire Banks and Elizabeth Garvey with their outstanding professionalism in doing so with Spodek Law Group. Any time I needed questions answered they were always prompt in doing so with all my uncertainties after 30 yrs of marriage.I feel from the bottom of my heart you will NOT be disappointed with either one. Thanks a million.
Brendan huisman
Brendan huisman
Alex Zhik contacted me almost immediately when I reached out to Spodek for a consultation and was able to effectively communicate the path forward/consequences of my legal issue. I immediately agreed to hire Alex for his services and did not regret my choice. He was able to cover my case in court (with 1 day notice) and not only was he able to push my case down, he carefully negotiated a dismissal of the charge altogether. I highly recommend Spodek, and more specifically, Alex Zhik for all of your legal issues. Thanks guys!
Guerline Menard
Guerline Menard
Thanks again Spodek law firm, particularly Esq Claire Banks who stood right there with us up to the finish line. Attached photos taken right outside of the court building and the smile on our faces represented victory, a breath of fresh air and satisfaction. We are very happy that this is over and we can move on with our lives. Thanks Spodek law 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙌🏼❤️
Keisha Parris
Keisha Parris
Believe every single review here about Alex Z!! From our initial consultation, it was evident that Alex possessed a profound understanding of criminal law and a fierce dedication to his clients rights. Throughout the entirety of my case, Alex exhibited unparalleled professionalism and unwavering commitment. What sets Alex apart is not only his legal expertise but also his genuine compassion for his clients. He took the time to thoroughly explain my case, alleviating any concerns I had along the way. His exact words were “I’m not worried about it”. His unwavering support and guidance were invaluable throughout the entire process. I am immensely grateful for Alex's exceptional legal representation and wholeheartedly recommend his services to anyone in need of a skilled criminal defense attorney. Alex Z is not just a lawyer; he is a beacon of hope for those navigating the complexities of the legal system. If you find yourself in need of a dedicated and competent legal advocate, look no further than Alex Z.
Taïko Beauty
Taïko Beauty
I don’t know where to start, I can write a novel about this firm, but one thing I will say is that having my best interest was their main priority since the beginning of my case which was back in Winter 2019. Miss Claire Banks, one of the best Attorneys in the firm represented me very well and was very professional, respectful, and truthful. Not once did she leave me in the dark, in fact she presented all options and routes that could possibly be considered for my case and she reinsured me that no matter what I decided to do, her and the team will have my back and that’s exactly what happened. Not only will I be liberated from this case, also, I will enjoy my freedom and continue to be a mother to my first born son and will have no restrictions with accomplishing my goals in life. Now that’s what I call victory!! I thank the Lord, My mother, Claire, and the Spodek team for standing by me and fighting with me. Words can’t describe how grateful I am to have the opportunity to work with this team. I’m very satisfied, very pleased with their performance, their hard work, and their diligence. Thank you team!
Anthony Williams
Anthony Williams
Hey, how you guys doing? Good afternoon my name is Anthony Williams I just want to give a great shout out to the team of. Spodek law group. It is such a honor to use them and to use their assistance through this whole case from start to finish. They did everything that they said they was gonna do and if it ever comes down to it, if I ever have to use them again, hands-down they will be the first law office at the top of my list, thank you guys so much. It was a pleasure having you guys by my side so if you guys ever need them, do not hesitate to pick up the phone and give them a call.
Loveth Okpedo
Loveth Okpedo
Very professional, very transparent, over all a great experience
Bee L
Bee L
Amazing experience with Spodek! Very professional lawyers who take your case seriously. They treated me with respect, were always available, and answered any and all questions. They were able to help me very successfully and removed a huge stress. Highly recommend.
divesh patel
divesh patel
I can't recommend Alex Zhik and Spodek Law Firm highly enough for their exceptional legal representation and personal mentorship. From the moment I engaged their services in October 2022, Alex took the time to understand my case thoroughly and provided guidance every step of the way. Alex's dedication to my case went above and beyond my expectations. His expertise, attention to detail, and commitment to achieving the best possible outcome were evident throughout the entire process. He took the time to mentor me, ensuring I understood the legal complexities involved to make informed decisions. Alex is the kind of guy you would want to have a beer with and has made a meaningful impact on me. I also want to acknowledge Todd Spodek, the leader of the firm, who played a crucial role in my case. His leadership and support bolstered the efforts of Alex, and his involvement highlighted the firm's commitment to excellence. Thanks to Alex Zhik and Todd Spodek, I achieved the outcome I desired, and I am incredibly grateful for their professionalism, expertise, and genuine care. If you're in need of legal representation, look no further than this outstanding team.

Grounds for Relief Under § 2255

Now that you know when you can file a 2255 motion, what can you actually argue in the motion?There are four main grounds for relief under § 2255:

  • Lack of jurisdiction: The federal court that convicted you lacked jurisdiction over your case. For example, your crime occurred totally outside the United States.
  • Constitutional violation: Your conviction or sentence violated one of your constitutional rights, like your right to effective counsel. This is the most common argument.
  • Sentence exceeds maximum allowed: The sentence you received goes beyond the maximum allowed by law. For example, you were sentenced to 50 years for a crime with a 10 year maximum sentence.
  • Prejudicial error: There was an error in the court proceedings, like the jury selection process, that caused you substantial prejudice.

Unless you can show that one of these errors occurred, you won’t be able to get relief under § 2255. The motion can’t be used to just re-argue issues that were already decided on direct appeal.

How to File a § 2255 Motion

If you think you have grounds for a 2255 motion, here are the steps to file:

Get the Right Forms

First, you need to download and fill out AO 243, which is the standard § 2255 motion form provided by the courts. You also need AO 240, which asks the judge for permission to proceed in forma pauperis (without paying fees) if you can’t afford the filing fee.

Fill Out the Forms

Next, you need to fill out these forms completely and accurately. The AO 243 has instructions for what to include. At minimum, you need to state what conviction you are challenging, the grounds for your challenge, and the facts supporting your legal arguments.You don‘t need to make elaborate legal arguments, but you need enough details so the court understands what errors you are alleging. Any arguments not made in the motion will likely be waived.

File with Sentencing Court

Once your motion and supporting documents are ready, make at least two copies. Mail the originals to the clerk of the court that handled your criminal case. This is the court that sentenced you.Send the copies to the U.S. Attorney for that district so they are served notice of your motion. Keep one copy for your records too.

Comply with Deadlines

As mentioned earlier, you need to file within one year of your conviction becoming final unless you have a valid reason for delay. The court can deny your motion if you miss this deadline, so calendar it appropriately.

How the Government Responds

Once you file your 2255 motion, the U.S. Attorney’s office will likely file a response opposing it. They will argue that your claims lack merit or that your motion should be denied for procedural reasons.For example, they may claim you missed the one-year deadline or that you failed to raise issues on direct appeal. Or they will argue that the alleged errors you raised are harmless or not serious enough to warrant reversing your conviction.The government has 60 days to file a response but can ask for more time. After their response comes in, you may have a chance to file a reply brief rebutting their arguments.

Evidentiary Hearing

One of the main benefits of filing a 2255 motion is the chance to get an evidentiary hearing before the judge. This allows you to present testimony and other new evidence supporting your claims.Whether you get a hearing is up to the judge. Under the law, the court must hold a hearing unless your motion and the case record “conclusively show” you are not entitled to relief.So if your motion alleges facts that, if true, would justify vacating your sentence, you have a good shot at a hearing. That’s your chance to prove those facts through live testimony and documentary evidence.

The Court’s Decision

After the briefing is complete and any evidentiary hearing is held, the judge will rule on your 2255 motion. There are three basic outcomes:

  • Motion granted: Your conviction or sentence is vacated and you are released or get a new trial.
  • Motion denied: Your motion failed and your conviction stands. At this point, you will need permission from the court of appeals to file a second 2255 motion.
  • Evidentiary hearing ordered: The court wants more evidence before deciding, so it orders the government to respond and schedules a hearing.

If your motion is denied, you can seek a certificate of appealability from the district or circuit court to appeal the denial. Appeals of 2255 rulings go to the federal circuit court covering the district where you were sentenced.

Success Rates and Tips

Only a small fraction of 2255 motions succeed. A 2005 study found that only 3.5% of federal prisoners who filed 2255 motions got any kind of relief. So the odds are stacked against you.That said, well-prepared motions with solid constitutional or jurisdictional claims do sometimes win. Here are some tips for boosting your chances:

  • Get an attorney – Having a lawyer who knows this area of law will help avoid procedural pitfalls and frame your arguments effectively. If you can’t afford a lawyer, groups like the Innocence Project or your state public defender may be able to help.
  • Focus on your best claims – Lead with your strongest constitutional or jurisdictional arguments. Don’t throw in weaker claims as “kitchen sink” arguments. Stick to the issues most likely to persuade the judge.
  • Use the hearing wisely – If you get an evidentiary hearing, work with your lawyer to gather affidavits, documents, and testimony that back up your claims. Use the hearing to create a strong factual record.
  • Check deadlines – File the motion within one year of your conviction becoming final and comply with all filing deadlines. Courts are very strict about time limits.
  • Be thorough – Follow all the form requirements and include all relevant facts, exhibits, and details to support your claims. Don’t assume the judge remembers everything about your case.
  • Tell your story – Use the motion to explain who you are and why your conviction was fundamentally unfair in light of the errors that occurred. Make it personal.

The bottom line is 2255 motions are always an uphill battle. But they remain an important safeguard for federal prisoners to seek justice if their conviction or sentence violated the Constitution. With commitment and attention to detail, some prisoners do prevail and get their convictions overturned. So don‘t be afraid to file a 2255 motion if you have a compelling case, but understand the challenges involved.

Schedule Your Consultation Now